DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Can I shampoo and shop vac my carpets?

Old 01-29-2012, 11:38 AM  
Default Can I shampoo and shop vac my carpets?

Back in 1995 I worked at a car dealership as a lot porter. I had to clean many cars. I was taught to use a shampoo on the upholstery and use a shop vac to vacuum up the moisture. The simple materials cleaned up very nicely. I don't even know if that was an appropriate way to clean car carpet, but it always did a nice job at refreshing things.

I have a couple well traffic'd areas of my house. I've spilled coffee there too. Its not a big enough area that warrent getting my house steam cleaned or renting the device at the grocery store, but its larger than I can do easily with a bottle of resolve or something. I want to know if I can spray and work in a little stain remover, shampoo, and suck all that stuff up with a shop vac to refresh the carpet like I did on cars when I was a kid.

Any suggestions on if this could work, and what inexpensive products I should use. Total areas in my house that need to be hit like this might be under 25 square feet.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:05 PM  
Supporting Member
Liked 152 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Better than nothing.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:06 PM  
Carpet Installer
Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Carpets are put together with latex glue. Don't get it too wet or it will delaminate. Also the pad will mold if it gets too wet.

(AKA Floorist, Rusty Baker)
Old 01-29-2012, 05:49 PM  
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Best product I've found for this is 'spot-shot' comes in an aerosol can and foams up. if you work it in with a stiff bristle brush, similar to a dish-brush then vacuum it out, it works. I have never used it on a large area, but it takes red wine right out of carpet.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:48 AM  

I You can shampoo the carpets but you need to dry them quickly so that they not lost their shine

Last edited by carpetcleaninggc; 09-01-2012 at 09:57 PM.