Crawl Space Access Door?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkenDIY

Reaction score
As a part of our laundry room reno, I just sealed up an old crawl space access hole that used to be under our washing machine . It wasn't anything special - literally just a hole cut out of the floor, held up by a few 2x2s. It was really drafty, and the washer rocked back and forth because it was unlevel.

Our house is post-beam construction, with the beams spaced every 4 feet.

Question is - I'm hoping to add a new access door into the floor of a pantry we're building. Any advice on where to place the door, given the spacing of the beams? Any favorite "trap door" products out there that I can simply install?

An access door should be 22 1/2" x 28" opening. Just build a frame from beam to beam with 2x10s and hangers to support the floor. I think for the door you are on your own but don,t forget the weather stripping.

Good to know on the size of the opening! I don't suppose I could get away with 2x6s for the framing? We're already working with a really shallow 24 inches under there...

If they are only four feet long maybe but you don't want create another problem. 2x8 would do it but depends on how this laysout with beams and how much weight is going to be on it. Either way double up the longer peices.

Latest posts

Back