DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Non-yellow polyurethane for floors

Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 AM  
hairball

Default Non-yellow polyurethane for floors

Hi,

I have a solid oak floor and have recently sanded off the old stain and finish so it's down to the bare wood.

The wood's colour is light which i want to preserve with whatever I finish it with. I understand oil based polyurethane is the recommended solution, but when i've used that before, it imparts a yellow tone that i don't like.

The water based stuff does not do so, but all I've read indicates that waterbased PU finishes are not that good for floors.

Does anyone have any ideas on what durable finish I can use that will change the color the least? I understand that anything wil change the shade and perhaps the color a little.

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 01:34 PM  
billyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball
Hi,

I have a solid oak floor and have recently sanded off the old stain and finish so it's down to the bare wood.

The wood's colour is light which i want to preserve with whatever I finish it with. I understand oil based polyurethane is the recommended solution, but when i've used that before, it imparts a yellow tone that i don't like.

The water based stuff does not do so, but all I've read indicates that waterbased PU finishes are not that good for floors.

Does anyone have any ideas on what durable finish I can use that will change the color the least? I understand that anything wil change the shade and perhaps the color a little.

Thanks in advance.
There is a finish that Franklin mill mall uses it is a commercial finish and it is water base
I think the name of it is called kick shoe water base finish

Last edited by billyo; 02-21-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM  
billyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
That finish is a
Product of BASIC COATS

Old 02-21-2012, 01:47 PM  
billyo

There is a water based polly that has aluminum oxide in it minwax makes one,in gloss- semi gloss and satin

Quick Reply