When Is Deck Maintenance Necessary?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imported_Liz

Reaction score
I moved into a condo almost two years ago and I am starting to notice small issues with my deck. How often are you supposed to treat and seal your deck? Splinters are a common problem and I see more and more nails sticking out. What do I need to do next to slow the deteriorating of my deck?

Liz,

You should maintain your deck about once a year. The deck should be checked for loose boards and protruding nails, thoroughly cleaned, and resealed. Pressure washing your deck will remove dirt, algae, moss, and other organic matter. For resealing, apply a clear or semi-clear liquid sealant to all exposed surfaces. You can do any of these tasks yourself if you are so inclined, or take the route I would prefer and hire someone.

A poorly maintained deck quickly turns to a gray color. The discoloration is caused by dirt, moss, algae, and other plants (as mentioned by AJH), which soon begin to tear apart the surface of the wood. Before long, you have a dingy deck that's treacherous when wet and riddled with splinters. I would clean off the deck as needed, but be sure to seal it every one to two years. I have had a deck in my back yard for about six years and it is still in really good shape.

Thanks for the information. I am adding this project to the list of 'things to do this summer'. I will most likely get some of my friends to help me out with this one.

Wow! I wasn't aware that not maintaining your deck would cause all of those problems so quickly! I have a deck on the back of my home, however, I can tell it hasn't been cared for much by previous owners. In the near future I plan to give it a good pressure wash and seal it all up, otherwise it looks alright. Its just a discolored deck right now, I assume, as yall said from the lack of care!

Yes I'm afraid you have to treat your deck often, if you leave it to long it could get bad and you will have to invest in a new one. In my last home I discovered that the old owners didn't care about the deck and when one of the planks cracked, I tried to replace it and discoverd that the underneath was covered in mold.The planks would be soon giving in and it was to dangerous so I had the whole thing replaced witch wasn't cheap.

I have used a pressure washer before, but you do want to be careful. This can damage your deck even more. You do not want anything high powered. When in doubt, use the hose ;)

I have been maintaining my deck about every 6 months. I have yet to see splinters or even loose nails. I don't use the pressure washer because it has to much power. I use a normal hose and it gives it a nice shiny look.

Back