Which Stain Brand should I use?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

admin_old

Reaction score
It's that time of year again... Every 2 years it seems I have to re-stain my deck. I use a semi-solid stain, and it keeps peeling of the deck surface.

I clean, sand, and spend lots of time prepping the deck, then each 2 years need to re-stain...

Any ideas? suggestions?

What type of deck do you have?
As a general rule, wood that is older and more weathered requires a more opaque stain to cover imperfections. I have heard that a solid stain might need re-application every year, while a clear or wood-toned treatment probably will last longer. Also, oil-based finishes tend to hold their color a bit longer, but water-based finishes tend to be more durable and last longer. Not sure if there is a huge difference between brands or not...other than the price.

I'm afraid there is no miracle solution to your problem, I have the same problem as you and all my friends as well. In my years of treatment I have however discovered that the darker and thicker the stain the better and use an oil based finish even though it doesn't last as long as the others it turns the paint into a beautiful color and will look nice all year round. As for the time you waste doing it every two years I think it's the price to pay to have a nice deck. We all go through it unfortunetly T__T

I definitely didn't paint my deck, especially it being a pool deck. Staining seems to work the best...especially a waterseal stain, which also protects the wood. I think it's Thompson's waterseal or something like that? Paint does just end up peeling, which looks worse than anything else.

I have tried many things one of my decks is a pool deck and the problem is that the chlorine from the pool just eats it away; I don’t know if there is a special pool deck stain, maybe someone here knows

What if I added on to my deck and built around the old part. If I prep it right and I am looking for suggestions about prep also can I get the new and old sections to come out looking similar. Also I have considered just using a totally different material altogether and have a type of contrasting deck but I want it to look nice. So what do you guys think, can either of these ideals work?

Back