Codes for building a deck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imported_AJH

Reaction score
I am looking to put a wrap around deck on my house. Does anyone know if there are codes against having a deck too close to my property line? I know that my dad ran into some problems when he was putting up a shed in his backyard and the neighbors claimed it was too close to their property.

Well, I know for sure that if your house is part of an HOA (yuck, hate those), you have to get permission to add anything onto your house that might make it too different from the other houses in the community!

My deck wasn't attached to the house, so I didn't clear it with anyone! LOL

Fortunately, I am not part of a HOA so no worries there. I do wonder, however, about the closeness to the property line. I have been doing some research though so I should be able to find my answer.

If, for example, you have a shed built, and it is there a certain length of time there is nothing anyone can do. You have to check with the county in which you live to find out the time. I know where I live if something has been on the property 17 years without a comlaint, a claim cannot be brought against the property owners and they would not be made to move the buiding or fence.

Here in Charlotte, NC there is a 5 foot setback rule. Not sure what it is else where.

Does anyone out there know if there are general code requirements for a step-down from a door leading out onto a deck? In other words, when you exit a door, does their need to be a minimum size landing area that is even with the house floor elevation? - or can you immediately step down (say 7 inches) onto the deck level as you exit the house?

Latest posts

Back