DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Remodeling and gutting an entire forclosed home!

Old 03-08-2012, 12:08 PM  
khepler1121

Default Remodeling and gutting an entire forclosed home!

http://kraftylilmomma.blogspot.com/

Hello, my name is Kelsey and i'm new to this forum. My other half and I recently bought an older forclosed home and I wanted to share with you all what we've done and would love some input or ideas on what else we can do. And please share your stories if you've had the same-ish types of projects! Thank you and have a great day!

Above is a link to an outline of what all we have done.
Thanks again!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 03:56 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 924 Times on 825 Posts
Likes Given: 1594

Checked out your site, looks like you guys are fearless. Good work and welcome.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:47 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 497 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Thanks for posting the link to your blog. Really enjoyed it. Please feel free to post it in our Projects Section so others can see the benifit of hard work.

Oh, and to House Repair Talk!

Old 03-08-2012, 06:42 PM  
khepler1121

Thanks! All I could think was...what the H*ll did we get ourselves into!?! But a lot of hard work later we have a home...but still have a lot of projects to start up and get finished. The hard part is over, so that's all that matters right now
I'll continue to post as new projects come up!
Have a great night everyone!

Old 03-11-2012, 05:30 PM  
sandbuoy

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

All I could think was...what the H*ll did we get ourselves into!?!

My wife and I were talking about that just last night. Recalling our first day in a foreclosed house we bought, sight inseen. Our relatives back here sent pictures, measurements and info to us over the computer and phone. We sold our house back in Oregon and moved to Ohio to be near my parents, were ill. First thing from her mouth at 11:00 at night after the plane flight back was what the hell did YOU get us into haha. I am setting up a blog also to show our events to remedeling this 1927s house. About the same situation as yours, pet droppings, spray painted wall and doors, tore outs fixtures. And like you we survived so far. Still a long ways to go thou.

Likes your story and dedication to making a house into a home. I bet your sure proud and you should be. Great job and congrats to the work.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:50 AM  
92sb4x4oh

Welcome to both of you. Sanduoy you stated you moved back to Ohio so where in Ohio are you located? Khepler1121 from your pictures it almost looked like you are from the Buckeye state and if so where are you located. I am located in Columbus but get around to the west side (Indian Lake, Lima, Kenton), northwest (BG, Port Clinton), northeast (Grafton, Wellington, Lakewood) and the eastern it is around New Philadelphia, Port Washington and MT Hope. So if I am around your area and you need a hand with something let me know and we can see what we can arrange. Since it's getting warmer around here I don't want to be staying inside all that much.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:32 PM  
khepler1121

Thank you to Sandbuoy and 92sb4x4oh! We actually live up in good ole N. Idaho! Where currently it's been raining, snowing, and sunshiny all in one day haha. Right now is a great time to pick up forclosed homes...but yes they come with the price of cleaning up...due to buying price being so low. I do believe that if you can make it through a remodeling experience with your S/O then you can make it through just about ANYTHING! We have a lot of plans for this year to nail out the basement. One is to put in a huge rec room with a wet bar. We have to redo the vent ducts and replace the oil furnace with an electric furnace. That should be fun...

Old 03-14-2012, 03:39 PM  
sandbuoy

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

92s, I south of Youngstown, sitting here in 75 degree temps and enjoying the heck out of it. Flowers are coming up already, grass in getting greener by the hour and going to do a little yard work before tearing back into the bath remodel. Khelper, that is the one area I wish we didn't have to settle on, the baserment. Ceiling just a little over 6', the new gas furnace duct pipes are so low you rub your head on them and the floor looks like it was poured at different times. But for under $20k, great location and great neighborhood, 3 car garage, huge front porch, deck and yard it will do.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:50 PM  
khepler1121

Oh wow that's a great deal! We're in the same situation, our basement ceiling is farely low as well...taller than 6ft thankfully but not by much after the ducts hanging low...we mainly have to redo everything because of the animal smell! But for 54K we couldn't pass this place up. It's on just over 3/4 of an acre as well. Wish we had property though...

Old 03-16-2012, 12:11 AM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by khepler1121 View Post
. . . . Wish we had property though...
Just wait 15 or 20 years--you'll be tickled pink you don't have more acreage to take care of. Trust me, I've been there and done that!

Quick Reply