DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Light fixture

Old 04-17-2012, 03:57 PM  
texan1

Default Light fixture

I am looking to turn my kitchen light above my island into a hanging light fixture I don't know how to put the drywall or what ever it is up on the ceiling. HELP!!!!! Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 07:12 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 964 Times on 857 Posts
Likes Given: 1650

What kind of fixture do you have now?

Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 AM  
texan1

It is the one with the long light bulbs it sits in the ceiling not screwed to it if you get what I am saying if not I can take a pic and post. I want to take it down put up some drywall or whatever is best and put one of those pot and pan things that hang that has lights built into it. Thanks

Old 04-18-2012, 06:16 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 964 Times on 857 Posts
Likes Given: 1650

Post a picture of what you and what you want to chage it to.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:37 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 409 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Your ceiling is probably a 4' tube flourescent. Turn off the power to the light. Remove the light fixture completely and you will discover a round ceiling box with the feed wires. Your new pendant light fixture can be attached to that box, if it is in the right spot (doubtful). If you have to move the ceiling box, it will necessitate some drywall cutting and repair. ANybody locally you can get to help?

Old 04-19-2012, 08:27 AM  
texan1

I am sure I can get someone local; but I am a little handy and I want to do it myself. Do you think it is above DIY level to where it would be better to pay someone? I will post lifters sometime today to give you guys a better view of what I am talking about. Thanks

Old 04-20-2012, 05:41 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 409 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 171

It is not too hard but acquiring the "touch" takes time. Get a good "how to" book from Home Depot on electrical stuff.

If you leave the ceiling box and use a swag the pendant light it will be easiest. Just get a cover for the ceiling box (usually white) and a little decorative wire+chain. Use a well anchored ceiling hook and you can hang the pendant without messing with the drywall. Simple to do and your wife will owe you BIG TIME.

If you want to move the box, it gets harder. Things get in the way (ceiling joists) and the existing wiring might not have enough slack to get to the new box. I like "old work" ceiling boxes because you can install them securely -- but you want the fit to be tight, so cutting the drywall should be done carefully. If you can get the wiring to the new box, the pendant light can be relocated. The old box will have to be drywalled . . . if you do not know how, there is a whole new world of repair awaiting you.

Your best bet is to ask friends and friends-of-friends for help. Someone can walk you though all the steps and keep you from messing up the kitchen. My son-in-law is in that category . . . but he has me to re-frame and re-wire his entire kitchen. Oh, and show him how to do bullnosed drywall edges.

Good luck on this new chapter in your life!

Quick Reply