DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > Insulation requirements for addition/ garage.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:09 AM  
edselsouth1

Default Insulation requirements for addition/ garage.

I'm trying to go forward and complete an addition begun by the property's previous owner, and have a few questions concerning insulation of spaces.
First question: The upper floor exterior walls are of 2x4 construction, 7/16 OSB sheathing, and 1/2" green foamboard (shiplap) caulked at each joint and around the perimeter. Foamboard seams are staggered. What insulation should be used on the interior of these exterior wall, R-19 faced or unfaced, and 1/2" drywall?
Second question: The second floor has 3/4" OSB over 12" i-joist construction on 16" centers. Nothing else at present time. What insulation under the 3/4" OSB to get maximum protection. I would like to spray foam, but #1 -cost is prohibitive at this time, and #2-the insulators here are not willing to come and do a "small" job (approximately 500 sq. ft.). The project is about 25 miles from the nearest insulator.
Thanks for your responses and advise. David.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 01:22 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 963 Times on 856 Posts
Likes Given: 1647

The foam board is a vapour barrier so you don,t use insulation with facing. Safe and Sound has a fire quality. The cieling in the garage should have 5/8 drywall and should be taped and filled to stop off gasses from autos.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:24 AM  
edselsouth1

Default Insulation requirements...

nealtw.... Thanks for your response. The i-joists are 12" depth. Where should a vapor barrier be placed when using such as Roxul Safe & Sound? The garage will be a finished, non-conditioned space. The exterior walls of the garage are 2 x 6 PT construction on 16" centers, 7/16" OSB with 1/2" green foamboard also, so no facing on the insulation. Thanks, David.

Last edited by edselsouth1; 04-19-2012 at 03:36 AM.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:16 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 963 Times on 856 Posts
Likes Given: 1647

They never put a vapour barrier in the floor and you always want airflow under the insulation like under a house but they seem always to forgo that in a garage. I don't know the rules on it, but I never see anything but insulation and 5/8 drywall. on the ceiling.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:18 PM  
edselsouth1

nealtw..... Thanks. I believe that will answer my questions for now. Time to get back on the project. I appreciate your time and knowledge. David.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:40 PM  
AndyGump
Drawer of Homes

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Use R-13 in the 2 x 4 walls.

Andy.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:03 AM  
edselsouth1