DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Unsightly Concrete Curbs on Slab

Old 06-22-2012, 12:06 AM  
billhead1

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Unsightly Concrete Curbs on Slab

My concrete foundation has a curb of approximately 6 inches above the carport and a breezeway leading to my back door. The appearance of the curb is unsightly. It looks like the forms were knocked off before the concrete fully cured, resulting in rough, irregular faces, but no exposed aggregate.

I'm looking for a cosmetic fix. I thought about cutting porcelain tile in gray slate color, applying a thin mortar bed, and grouting the individual sections of tile, but this is a pretty time-intensive job.

Another option would be to apply some type concrete bonding agent with thinset and trowel it smooth. Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 928 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1596

The curb concrete is installed by the people that frame the house, their concern is quality of concrete and level across the top. Good looking is hardly ever part of the deal.
There are cement morters made for this, you would use an angle grinder to remove rough edges and apply morter and smooth it with a scrubber while it is still soft.
If you get a chance to watch people working on a tilt up warehouse or bridge construction, you would say, that looks easy enough.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 403 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Darn it, Neal! You always get the right answer before I do!

Yes, Billhead, you can trowel high PSI mortar right onto the curb then smooth it with a damp sponge (try the kind used for tiling because it has a rough side and a smooth side). Once it cures completely (give it two weeks) you can paint it to finish the look.

Good luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply