DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Exterior Brick Waterproofing Sealant

Old 06-23-2012, 04:51 PM  
billhead1

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Exterior Brick Waterproofing Sealant

I had never heard of applying a waterproofing compound to exterior brick to prevent cracking from moisture intrusion during freezing conditions, but a contractor proposed and applied it to a neighbor's house. All exterior brick is located above the foundation curb, above grade. Is this a recommended practice? What is the maximum recommended pressure for pressure washing to avoid damaging bricks/mortar? According to Home Depot's Buying Guide for Waterproofers, "Waterproofers stop the flow of water through concrete while sealers only repel water. However, sealers do repel water and allow water vapor to move through the material. Apply these products to brick, concrete, block, stucco or other masonry material."

Last edited by billhead1; 06-23-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 02:44 AM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

A great source of revenue for the manufacturers, suppliers and installers, but I question the need for doing so. Millions of brick structures have never been sealed with anything, and are still performing reasonably well in all kinds of weather conditions.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:44 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 510 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Bridgeman, I see a lot of issues with water migration through mortar, especially at chimney areas. When you can run your finger along a mortar joint and it looks like your running your finger through a sand box, theres usually an issue with water intrusion.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 AM  
asbestos
Good with caulk

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

We have a brick house (well mostly brick anyway) it's from the 1950's and I have put some sealant on it, a penetrating sealant. I am not so worried about the bricks as I don't want to much moisture soaking in and gettin to the wood underneath. The tarpaper they put on is not in the best shape. So I figure the less water getting to it the better.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="3"][B]Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 06-26-2012, 10:10 PM  
BridgeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
Bridgeman, I see a lot of issues with water migration through mortar, especially at chimney areas. When you can run your finger along a mortar joint and it looks like your running your finger through a sand box, theres usually an issue with water intrusion.
I totally agree. I've seen lots of improperly installed bricks, incorrect flashing, wrong type of mortar, too wet, and often improperly cured, performed by people in the trades who have no business still being there.

That being said, I stand by my original statements. And qualified with my opinion that the best brick sealant in the world will not correct an initial lousy installation. May buy some time, but only puts off the inevitable.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:15 PM  
babs322

My chimney sweeper is recommending waterproofer for the outside of my "reused" brick fireplace chimney. I am hearing very conflicting reports about sealing brick. Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 PM  
BridgeMan

Using a sealer that can breathe should work, if anyone wants to spend the time and money to do it.

I'd guess far more than half the brick chimneys in the world are not sealed. Keep in mind it's a guess, and no, I don't have any facts to back that statement up.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:54 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 963 Times on 856 Posts
Likes Given: 1648

Weeping holes at the bottom of a wall are there to remove any water that gets behind the brick. If water is running down the back of the brick it will be sucked into the brick in warm weather, a non-breathing sealer will prevent that moisture from getting out.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:55 AM  
pgooose

Are there different types of brick sealer and how do you choose?

Old 02-01-2013, 01:03 PM  
BridgeMan

Simple internet search will pull up the names of various products and manufacturers. Then just wade through all of their respective product descriptions for the one that best suits your needs. Larger outfits will have a free tech number to call if you have specific questions about something.

Quick Reply