Patio roof leaking near fireplace

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshawhey1966

Reaction score
:confused:I have a covered patio that was recently done and has a leak between the roof and the fireplace. The person that built the patio came and tried to patched it up with silicone and roof cement but it still leaks. I'm worried if they don't fix it soon I will start to have mold problems in the wood. What do you suggest I do in fixing the problem? I feel they need to come and take it completely apart on the corner where it is leaking and see where it is coming from.

I would think - that the problem is where the patio roof structure - meets the brick/stone fireplace
- is not properly "flashed" with metal/copper.
if you cannot repair repair this yourself - i would suggest contacting a roofing contractor- to at least take a look and quite possibly "fix" the problem reasonably priced - Hope this helps- good luck !

He has already looked at and if he knew how he would have fixed it. You can spend weeks argueing with him while more dammage is done. As Nailbanger said; get a roofer to look it over and maybe fix it and ask the contractor to pay for it. He probibly won't but you will sleep better.

LOL, silicon and roof cement is NOT a fix or appropiate repair. Call a roofing company and charge the patio cover guy for his failure. You paid for it once, you shouldn't have to pay for it again. Just my :2cents:

Thanks for the advice. I'll go out and find a roof contractor and see if they can resolve problem.

Post a picture so we can poke fun at his work.
There's been dozen of people on here with the exact same story. They post a picture and even from here most often we can tell what's wrong so why can they not see it standing on the roof?

Here is a picture of the fireplace and patio. Home Depot told me to put rubber cement around the edge on the roof around the fireplace but that hasn't help either. I'm considereing that maybe because the roof is over 15 years old that there is a leak going down the corner. I went up the attic but I did not see any leaks up there. I'm think my best option is to contact a roof contractor and let them look at it.

SDC13318.jpg

SDC13319.jpg

SDC13320.jpg

SDC13322.jpg

Like Joe said we will line up to tell what is wrong here.
It dosn't look like he removed any siding to properly flash the roof.
The beam over the posts looks like it is a single board.
He didn't cut the rafters to the correct angle so the gutter looks like crap.
By using solid ceiling he has stopped all air movement above and closed the venting for roof above. This guy is not qualified.

Is there a cricket/ or saddle behind that chimney in the middle of the picture? If so, this is the area that drops down to both those sides and may be leaking behind the siding.
You need somene out there that knows what they are looking at, you got screwed.:(

Really needed pictures taken from the roof not the ground, we know there the leak is showing, we need to be able to see how it's getting in, not out.

What did they use for roofing material?

Thanks for you observation of the patio. The gutter is screwed up a little because when I climbed up there, I knocked out one of the nails. Plus, he used the gutter that was originally on before the patio. I did that to try to save some money but it came up about a foot short. The board across is actually a beam but you can't see the full picture of it unless your on the other side of the patio. The main screw up I see is not having the fireplace flashed and the siding remove. I'm thinking that siliconing the top of the fireplace behind the siding might help but If that does not work I'll have to get a roofing contracter to look at it. Plus, I'm in need of replacing the roof given the fact that it is seventeen years old and showing substantial granules lost.

I'll try to get some pictures tomorow. We have been getting a ton of rain and flooding out here so I'm having a hard time going up and getting pictures from up on the roof. From the top, you can't see anything but there is water on the very top of the fireplace that just sits there. My guess is that it is going down the four corners of the siding. The roof is shingles and they used the radiant barrier board below. Everything else on the patio seems fine as far as no leaks and drainage flow. I think the major screw up is not taking the siding out and putting in flashing.

If you Google "how to check the pitch of a roof" and check your's I'd bet it's no more then a 3-12 pitch. I'd be surprized it's even that much.
Shingles should never have been installed on a roof pitch that low.

If you go around and check almost every other DIY site there's people on every one of them with the exact same problum your having.
Most go on and on about trying to deal with the man that built it, then tell us all about try to caulk it. All the while the roof keeps leaking and causing damage.
The only ones I've seen stop leaking are the ones the the whole thing gets redone correctly.
A roof like yours should have had a one piece membrane type roof like EPDM or a metal roof because of the low slope.
If you also Google "flashing a chimmney" you see how it should have been done.
There never ever should be standing water sitting on a chimmney crown.

I already fixed the problem. It was the corner of the chimney cap that was leaking which ran down the corner into the inside of the patio. I just silconed it but I will eventually have to replace the chimney cap.

Latest posts

Back