DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Block foundation under cabin

Old 09-14-2012, 03:58 PM  
papakevin

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Block foundation under cabin

We are having a contractor install a block foundation under an existing cabin which was previously on steel stilts. The steel was badly rusted and needed to go.

The contractor dug a trench, poured some concrete and will start building up the block foundation underneath the cabin (which they raised up) soon.

My question - how deep and wide should concrete be in order to place blocks on top of it? I'm traveling out of town on business, but have received a couple photos of the job in process. To me, the depth seems too shallow. (See attached photos). The property is in Southern Indiana, just North of Louisville, KY.

Thanks.

image-871467373.jpg   image-3727504458.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 06:10 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 926 Times on 826 Posts
Likes Given: 1595

The trench should be below frost level in your area. The concrete should be about 8" deep, give or take a little and the width depends on soil condition and the weight of the house. Our smallest footing would be 18" x 8" and 2 rebars 5/8" diameter placed 2" from the bottom of the footing.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:47 PM  
papakevin

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Stopped by the property today and they have made a lot of progress, so I guess it's no longer a concern....

Assuming they should jack up the house to fit in the new top plates before it is lowered down, right?

image-268941013.jpg   image-1103133193.jpg   image-205993597.jpg   image-260842204.jpg  

Old 09-15-2012, 04:49 PM  
papakevin

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Follow up question - should I spray or coat the block with something before the dirt gets back filled?

Old 09-15-2012, 11:17 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

Nice looking block work, but I think the footings are too shallow for your climate. My map shows Indiana frost lines ranging from 15" to 25", meaning there's a chance there will be some heaving in the building's future. Maybe enough compacted fill placed up against the walls will get you close to that.

And yes, you should seal the block with an asphaltic mastic, to keep from turning the crawl space into a swamp. And it wouldn't hurt a bit to extend the downspouts at least 5' away from the walls, instead of dumping the roof run-off right next to the walls like it is now.

Quick Reply