DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Radiant flooring under natural stone

Old 09-30-2012, 07:26 AM  
brasilmom

Default Radiant flooring under natural stone

Greetings,

We are replacing the pedestal sink on the children's bathroom, so we decided to go ahead and change the vinyl flooring, add radiant heat, put natural stone, and also replace the old toilet. We will not mess with the shower area, other than replacing the shower itself, and add a fresh coat of paint.

Now, the bathroom in on the main level, we have a basement, so the flooring is not concrete. Here is what I am not sure about:
- do I need to use an underlayment such as Schluter Ditra XL?
- if I need to use the underlayment, the order of things are: thinset, radiant mat, thinset, underlayment, thinset, tile, grout?
- is it recommended that I add a waterproofing membrane around the toilet?

Thank you. Be well

Miriam

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 07:37 AM  
brasilmom

Oh, forgot to ask. I see that there are at least 2 types of radiant heat. One is on a "wool" type of fabric, and the other is on a wire mesh type of thing. So, which is best for my application? Should I look for this in a big box store or some other more specialized store?
Thanks

Old 10-01-2012, 06:54 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 962 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 1647

I've used the mesh thing with wire taped to it, kinda a bear to deal with but easy to cut the mesh and arange it where you want it. The other one looks easier to install but I think you have to order it made to fit the room. With the mesh one I think you would tape it place and install detra over it.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:14 PM  
cjn79

The best system I have seen is the Warm Board subflooring. It has all the grooves cut for your radiant tubing and is covered by aluminum for maximum heat transfer. It is a phenomenal system which not only gives you maximum heat transfer but maximum efficiency as well. Check it out online.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:20 PM  
cjn79

Oh never mind. Your doing natural stone. It's for standard flooring only I believe.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 AM  
brasilmom

Thanks cjn79 for the info. It appears that this would be way more than I want for this small bathroom. However, as time goes by I may get more in depth with that for the bedrooms. A warm floor is a beautiful thing.
Thanks again. Be well
Miriam

Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 AM  
brasilmom

Ok, so now, we are almost done with the walls and ceiling. Today, if time allows, I will work on the floor. So, the floor that is there now is glued down vinyl. Is there a real need to remove this flooring before proceeding with the thin set, etc, etc? If so, what is the best way to get this done without causing damages to the subfloor?
Thanks. Be well
Miriam

Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 962 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 1647

http://www.tileusa.com/Articles/Tili...yl_Jones05.pdf

Quick Reply