fireproof safes

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobc

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a fireproof safe for my home. It should be big enough to fit a few laptops, some camera equipment included several cameras and lenses, and other small valuables. If it's also theft-proof, that would be good, although I'm sure what that entails.

Can you recommend brands and models of fireproof safes that are considered high-quality? And where is the best place to buy one in terms of variety available, price/value, return policy, etc.? Lastly, as I alluded to above, what kind of safe would be theft-proof, or what would need to be done to it? We live in a condo, so something like bolting the safe into the floor is not an option.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Jacob

Waterproof is also important. When there is a fire a lot of water will poured on the building.

If you cannot build it in or bolt it down, it better be very heavy and large to prevent the safe from being stolen also. A good fireproof (2 hr minimum) safe with the required volume and interior dimensions would probably somewhat heavy.

I bought a home that had a base built into basement wall in open view. It had a 12" diameter door that was 4" thick (bootlegger/pharmacist's home). When I bought the house, I put a new $100 bill into the safe and never locked it. Ten years later, when I sold the house the bill was still there, even though we never locked the doors of the house. I still do not lock all the doors in my homes I have lived in for 35 years. - Sometimes I think the alarm signs in the yard and on a home are invitation, even with fake cameras by the doors.

Dick

Back