Blocking on deck joists

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockyMtnBlue

Reaction score
Building a 16x24 deck, 16' joists attached at ledger and supported by 2 beams at about 7' and 14' from ledger. I currently have solid blocking at about 4' and 11'. Do I need more blocking?

image-356977879.jpg

Looks good! So what's goin on for the decking material?:D

Thanks for that reference... Seems I'm OK.
". . .blocking is also required every 8 feet for 2x10 and taller joists."

Your joists don't look like they're 10" or higher, so for shorter joists do we need more or less blocking? Shorter joists may be less likely to twist, but that's just a guess. I'd like to see a rule or a formula.

Last edited:
Wazzat.... Like you, Im assuming that smaller joists would be less liable to twist and that blocking every 8 feet is adequate.

Hmm, I can get 5/4 x 6" cedar for a little more than PT. I like the looks of cedar and the fact that it will take a stain better than PT.

I plan on re-treating the decking every two years... Whether its PT or cedar.

What comments/experiences do others have related to these two decking choices?

I prefer the cedar cause it just looks nicer. The railings are a bit more stable and have a softer look and feel. My deck is cedar, it holds up just fine to furniture and traffic. I used stainless fasteners on all the railings so it did not get the black marks through the boards. The screws I hid underneath for the decking called blind screwing(leave it alone Oldog:p).

There are plenty of materials today, I still like plain Ol, inexpensive cedar.
Treat or seal all ends of all cuts no matter what material you use.
Good luck.

Your joists do not look like they are pressure-treated lumber in the photo. Are they? If not, it's a bit of a gamble on their long-term performance, isn't it? I don't know where you live, but anywhere in the Rocky Mountains (as inferred from your screen name) will be subject to rain and (lots of) melting snow. If you're planning on flipping the property, so be it. If you plan on being there a while, you might consider applying some heavy duty preservative, like copper napthanate, to the joists before installing the decking.

If you need the deck code without the fee: http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf Regular members may use that link as I don't visit here often enough...

The blocking, other than required over the bearing beams, is only required by the IBC, not IRC. Your built-beams look weak for the spans/loads, check in Table in link above.

TX is under IBC: http://www.reedconstructiondata.com/building-codes/texas/

Every 8' or held in-line (1x4 works, check locally): http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ibc/2009/icod_ibc_2009_23_par198.htm?bu2=undefined

Gary

Gary

My blocking is within the 'every 8'' rule and based on what I've read and other comments, I'm satisfied the blocking is OK.

I've used DCA6-09.pdf as a reference from early in my planning (as recommended by you or others on this forum in one of my earlier posts.) The beams check out fine in the DCA6-09 reference.

Since possting this question, City inspection has passed my framining..... I know that's not a guarantee but it's a milestone.

Thanks for your response

Back