Cedar Deck Staining/finishing Questions (new deck)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockyMtnBlue

Reaction score
I've decided to go with cedar decking on my deck project. I've located a local small lumber yard that focuses on deck and outdoor wood projects; I looked at their stock today and ordered 5/4x6 western red cedar, sanded 4 sides.

They recommend staining/finishing the decking on all 6 sides before laying it down: 1 coat on the bottom, 3 coats on the top/sides/ends.

I have two questions for this group (your responses in the past have been excellent and are much apprecoated):

1. Is staining/finishing all 6 sides recommended by this group?

2. What brands of stain/finisher do you recommend?

Thanks in advance..

Yes, Sikkens is the stuff most used around this area and holds up pretty well. Folks use it alot on Log homes around here also. And there are other products out there that may do just as well, but this is what we use.We pay the most attention to the cut ends, the sealant soaks into the end grain the most and usually needs a few more coats.:2cents:

Thanks again for the good advice. I bought Sikkens Cetol 1 today. I plan on applying 1 coat to all sides and cut ends before I lay the decking, followed by 2 additional coats... as suggested by the lumber store.

Good luck on your project, and don't forget to post some pictures when your finished!:D

Good luck! You'll love the Cedar look. I built my first deck out of cedar a few years ago and I love the look.

I wish I had tried Sikkens from the getgo, I have tried 2 diff. stains so far. One thing that sucks these days is that the VOC laws have outlawed oil based stains. The stores will sell you this stuff they label "oil based" these days but in reality it's not.

One thing that sucks these days is that the VOC laws have outlawed oil based stains. The stores will sell you this stuff they label "oil based" these days but in reality it's not.

Pete,

It all depends on which state you live in. Some are far more restrictive than others with respect to VOC emissions. For anyone looking for some "strong stuff," do a search on availability by googling "VOC Restrictions By State." If you're in a restricted state, but bordering a more lenient state, it would definitely be worth the trip across state lines to bring back some of the good (stronger, but far more effective) material. Hopefully, the "smuggler police" will still be sleeping, or hanging out at the local doughnut shop.

Latest posts

Back