DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > building a shed

Old 09-23-2005, 02:36 PM  
paintinglady

Default building a shed

For those of you that are hand with hammers, saws and nails, how difficult is it to build a shed. I'm looking for something about 12 x 15, attractive but not overdone, at least 2 windows and the double door opening for lawn equipment along with a standard-sized entry door. Can you give me an idea as to how long this should take to complete and a difficulty level, so I'll know where to go with this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2005, 11:26 AM  
Chase

I bulit mine and it took a day my brother helped me it is a good size bulding but we did not put in windows though
It was really cheaper for us to buy the materials and bulid it ourselves then to go buy one! At least I got the size I wanted instead of of those tiny buldings that really will not hold anything.

Old 09-24-2005, 12:48 PM  
fixitright

Default I agree with the other post.

I agree with the other post here. You'll definitely save money building your own. Also, you won't be so limited on sizes, etc. Now, the only difficult part would be putting it together if you're not experienced with that. Not because you're a woman, either. I've seen many a man who can't do that type of work. You can buy blueprints for what you want, or you can use one of those computer programs to design it yourself (they're easier than you think), or you could pay someone to draw it up for you. Then you'll just need a list of supplies, which come with some blueprints and some of the computer programs give you a list according to your plans. You can also take your plans to Lowes or HomeDepot and they'll help you out. From there it's a matter of following directions.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-02-2005, 05:54 PM  
sonofthesoil

make sure to buy a planer for your lumber - all 2x4s are NOT created equal - and you don't seem to address the issue of flooring - are you going to lay down a slab or cross-cut some beams and lay down a flooring over that?

Old 10-14-2005, 09:56 PM  
FirTrader

No offense sonof, but why on earth would you plane a 2x4 even if they are marginally different from one another? We're talking about a shed here, not a piano.

I build big sheds like tiny houses - build a floor out of 2x6 or 2x8, and sheet it with 3/4 " treated ply, and then build walls and stand them, with the sheeting hanging below the wall (to cover the floor seem) and then some rafters and presto. Takes about 2 days if you've got everything you need on site. Sheds btw don't qualify for any kind of code, so far as I know, being "buildings of low human occupancy".

Old 11-14-2005, 08:03 AM  
2pyrs

I personally like the pre-cut units that can be put up in one weekend. My barn (12’x16’) is off the ground and sits on 4x4 posts. A good kit comes with a tape showing you how to assemble it. We have to have permit here to build any out buildings. The only time a permit is not needed is for a hoop house. By the way a hoop house cost about $75.00 for a 12'x12'

2pyrs

Old 11-27-2005, 09:13 AM  
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirTrader
Sheds btw don't qualify for any kind of code, so far as I know, being "buildings of low human occupancy".

I would check with your local ordinances before building just to be sure about codes. Years ago I built a 12'x12' shed. I didn't need a permit or anything.
Few years later I added on to the shed. I then needed a $10.00 permit. A couple years ago I built a second shed. I needed to submit plans, get a permit, go through the same inspections as a house, and then a final inspection to get occupancy, just like a house. So, make sure you know the local ordinaces before you start.

I belong to the local Habitat for Humanity. Last summer we bought a pre-built shed from the local High School shop class. We were required to get a permit to put it on site. No big deal but it is a good idea to check before you proceed.

Old 11-29-2005, 05:55 PM  
shadebuilder
shadebuilder

I would agree with furtrader 100%. Get some plans, a little help and a free weekend. best of luck.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:14 AM  
araujo

With a good plan a few friends, some BBQ ribs, you should be able to build you shed in a weekend. take care.

Learn How To Start Building Amazing Outdoor [B][URL="http://www.10x10sheds.com"]10x10 Sheds[/URL][/B] and Woodwork Designs Faster and Easier!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:49 AM  
daklaw

Default Just a shed

I recently did a small shed in a couple of days. I had no plans other than an idea in my mind what I wanted. I did a blog article with pictures on my experience. DIY Home Renovations » Construction and DIY I believe it is a DIY project most handy people can accomplish. It's just a shed.

Quick Reply