Matching mortar... Other alternatives?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose I could have posted this under "decks and patios" but the concern I have is focused on the mortar between the bricks of my patio, and what other alternatives may be out there.

The bricks at the gateway between my patio and the pool deck have settled over the past 17 years. The herringbone-patterned patio was not adequately supported at this gateway. There is a poured concrete pad underneath. My first thought was to remove the settled bricks (see attached photos), add some additional concrete, then replace the original bricks.

Unfortunately, I broke a few pavers, and then realized that my chances of matching up the shade of mortar between the bricks would be a real challenge, even if I were to power wash the rest of the patio. I've removed the settled bricks and have a section of the patio/walkway that's about 1.5 ft long. If I can't match the mortar, perhaps there is something else I can stick in this section where a slightly different shade of mortar won't be so discernible. Any ideas anyone? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rick

Patio-1.jpg

Patio-BricksOut.jpg

If the concrete is in good shape other than settled, I would have it lifted, but I can't help with colour.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLnNTdmQ9a4[/ame]

If the match really important then you could trim 3/4" off all the joints and then re do the entire sidewalk.

Matching mortar can be done if you take your time. Getting the same or similar sand helps. To check the sand dissolve some of the mortar in acid, and you will be left with a sample of the sand.
Mortar can be aged also by adding a darker sand to the mix, or mortar dyes.
A bit of black dye can help.
Make a few different sample batches up to see which mix is the best.

The coloring pigment, especially in an area with traffic and weather exposure, the common cheap carbon black is really not a long term colorant because it is just a bunch of black particles stuck in a cement-based matrix. The best pigment is black iron oxide pigment, but it can be hard to find in small quantities since it is normally used by laege industries and plant.

In the end, mother nature and time/exposure will always change the mortar appearance and texture over time. - It just depends on how long you want the appearance to last. - The chances are the original mortar had carbon black so it will weather quickly, so just go a little dardker and let it blend in after a year or so.

Dick

Latest posts

Back