DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Garden and Lawncare > Need to cut bushes in half, questions.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:06 PM  
sreno0207

Default Need to cut bushes in half, questions.

I have a few rather large evergreen bushes in front of my house. I really hate them but its not in the cards right now to completely remove and replace. Is there any thing I should do to them if I want to half their height? Or do I just go to town once warmer weather sets in? They are rather large and give my hives when I touch them. This is not going to be fun!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 03:28 PM  
elbo

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I also itch after I trim them. the thing to do is cover yourself well and wear gloves, I think the best time to do it is in the winter when you are fully covered, not much chance of making contact. I would also saw it as close to the ground as you can get, if your going to get rid of them anyway, why bother only cutting them half way ?

Old 01-19-2013, 03:52 PM  
sreno0207

I am only cutting them half way so I don't have to re- landscape the front of my house yet.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:01 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

If you follow the rules of Apical Dominance you won't have to cut them very often.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:41 AM  
broadbill

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

By cutting them in half you will be sawing/cutting through the main trunk of the bush. My (uninformed) guess is that in the years following you will have multiple new growths from around that cut end projecting upward. You can then trim them gently to get the the top to round/fill out (but it will look like crap in the interim). You may want to make your initial cut even lower down to account for the height the new shoots will give you.

Furthermore, by cutting/pruning the top the bush will also get wider/bushier at the bottom (Apical Dominance). Likewise, apical dominance will cause the new shoots extending upward to get bushier as well.

Quick Reply