Ceramic tile over 2 layers of lino

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissy

Reaction score
I am installing ceramic tiles in my kitchen/dining room. Now that I've taken up the existing laminate I've found 2 layers of Lino flooring, which could contain asbestos(?). As long as the original floor is level, can I install the tiles over the original floor? (The base is a concrete slab).

Thanks

Chrissy,

Level has nothing to do with it. The floor will be the same level after the vinyl's removed.

What you're considering is not a good plan, there's likely to be an area that isn't stuck perfectly and there's no way to know. The layers should be removed and then after more prep you'd tile on the concrete or a membrane.

More info about these floors would help and some pics too. Also need to know about the house and where it's located among other things.

Flooring containing asbestos can be removed very safely. Just get a helper with a spray water bottle to keep things damp. People seem to think asbestos in flooring is gonna kill you are worse.

Jaz

Latest posts

Back