Sealing Formica Joints?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashbang

Reaction score
Hello - first postng here and hope someone can hep. About a year ago I had a formica counter top made for my kitchen. Within a few months it started falling apart. It was replaced and the new one seems to have devoleped the same problem. The folks who built it refunded my money and I will be getting another one, but in the mean time I figure I can get another year or so out of it - and put off the mess for a bit! - if I can seal the joints that are seperating.

These are the joints in the formica, where the backsplash joins the counter top. They have seperated in differant parts of the counter with gaps of anywhere from a 'hair' to maybe 1/16th of an inch. Counter is built on chip board (or something that looks like that) and I want to stop water from getting in to it.

I have tried a couple of sealants but they do not adhere to the formica.

Any suggestions on what I might try?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

If it was built as a two peice with a seperate backspash it should have be sealed with silicone clear when it was new. Make sure it is clean and absolutly dry and run a small bead of clear silcone and smooth it with a wet finger. If you have never done it before you may want to run wide masking tape on each side of the joint, it can get messy in a hurry. Remove tape as soon as you are done.
Welcome to the site.

Back