DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > Computers and Electronics > Excel Workbook

Old 05-24-2013, 02:44 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 920 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 1583

Default Excel Workbook

Twenty years of building formulas into workbooks for a whole host of things and now some fool has made the columns ( numbered ) instead of (lettered).
I found on the web lots of people saying this is an easy change and then they tell you what to do. I think they type to fast or something, I can't evan find the buttons to start with.

Any one care to walk me thru it, just pretend I know nothing about computers, well actually you don't to pretend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 03:00 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I"m not sure what your saying. MS-Excel 2010, colums are letters and rows are numbers. Is yours different?

Old 05-24-2013, 03:02 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 403 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Hey Neal ... I'm relatively computer savvy ... Can you explain how you want to change your formulas?

For example, if your old EXCEL formula was =+B2*C2
How do you want to change it?

Old 05-24-2013, 03:21 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 920 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 1583

I figured it out, They hide the switch in a defferent places for each copy of Excel. Some people perfer numbers to letters on the columns and when that person sends you a file and you open it' it changes every workbook on your computer and every other computer in your group. And to change it back, one workbook at a time you find that switch which is not set to R1C1 and you have set it to R1C1 and save the change and the go back and unselect it and save the changes. Just 30 workbooks to go.

You would think that if was going to change something outomaticly, they would change all effected formulas too.
I did read that some people working with formula need to know how many columns they are moving over, I never would have thought about changing the program, I've always just used auto fill and put a row of numbers under the labels and split the screen to keep it at the top.

Thanks anyway.

Last edited by nealtw; 05-24-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply