Request - Kitchen remodel sanity check

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McLovin

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a home built in 2001 with about 45 linear feet of cabinetry. I'd like to replace it all, and add new countertops and flooring. So basically a full remodel.

I started with Sears refacing, because my cabinet frames are OK - we just don't like the color and door shapes (builder basic oak, particle board frame - adequate if I'm trying to save money). Sears wanted $18K to reface the cabinets alone (17 in total). They wanted almost $30 a square foot for tile flooring (ceramic, not gold). Needless to say the refacing option and Sears does not seem to offer any cost benefit.

I'm reasonably sure I could have someone do the ceramic tile floor we want for $10 a square foot; the tiles are $2.30 per sq. ft. Reasonable? (I have about 450-500 sq. ft.)

Should I be able to replace (not reface) 45 linear feet of cabinetry (17 cabinets) for $18K-ish? I need full demo and install. I'd be happy with a mid grade cabinet, with maple fronts. Crazy?

Could I get 65 sq. ft. of Sensa or similar granite installed for $8K-ish?

Thanks very much for all replies. I realize now that having Sears come out was a waste of time. I have a highly rated kitchen pro that I found on Angie's list coming out next week, but I don't want to waste anyone else's time. Doing the math above, I'm looking to do cabinet replacement, floor, and counter for $32K. No rearranging of the space, just straight replacement - and nothing else.

I just did a total down to the studs kitchen and entry mud room with new replacing doors and moving windows new floors etc. And the truth is I think you can pay whatever you want in a kitchen the sky is the limit. Being a DIY community I think 32k would go very far in a kitchen remodel for most here, but materials and labor vary so much it’s a very hard question to answer. You didn’t say if you were replacing the appliances as well.

I would approach it much like you did the flooring and you said you knew the tile price and had a guess at the labor. Do some homework and look at cabinets and figure out a price per piece and at least come up with the cost of materials. If your home was built in 2001 there shouldn’t be any surprises in what you will find in the plumbing and wiring etc. so I think the demo part should be fairly straight forward as you are not changing the locations. Keep in mind you can sell what you are taking out also thru an on line ad and get some money back.

Just a crazy guess but I would think you could get the cabinets for between 5 and 10k depending on quality and brand. Granite I don’t have a clue on but I would think it easy to research.

Others in the trades will be on with help I’m sure.

Where I live stores like Sear just hire other people to come to do you work and double the labour bill. I would spend more time looking for companys that actually do the work. Unless you are going really high end for new cupboard, they all will be boxes constructed simular to what you have. Replacing the drawers to a higher grade is a good option as they can be really sad in low end cupboards and welcome to the site.

If you go with a brand store, you will pay extra for their brand. Get as close to the supplier as you can to save money.

DEMOLITION -- Why would you pay for someone to kill your old cabinets? Do it yourself. Remove screws, take out the boxes. Buy a saw and cut them into pieces. Put the pieces in the trash a little at a time until they are gone in the municipal waste.

DESIGN -- You can go to Home Depot or IKEA and get a complete redesign plan for free using your dimensions. You can price your cabinets through them in varying qualities until you find a price you can handle.

INSTALL -- Hire out via CraigsList on a per box basis. Just post in the Skilled Labor section for prices to install your new cabinets per box. Describe the number of boxes. Interview and hire accordingly (with reference checking).

COUNTERS -- Again, you can find suppliers for tops and installation.

Honestly, SEARS will markup the deal. Same with IKEA and LOWES. Why be a victim? Manage your project and save big money.

KITCHEN.jpg

If you go with a brand store, you will pay extra for their brand. Get as close to the supplier as you can to save money.

DEMOLITION -- Why would you pay for someone to kill your old cabinets? Do it yourself. Remove screws, take out the boxes. Buy a saw and cut them into pieces. Put the pieces in the trash a little at a time until they are gone in the municipal waste.

DESIGN -- You can go to Home Depot or IKEA and get a complete redesign plan for free using your dimensions. You can price your cabinets through them in varying qualities until you find a price you can handle.

INSTALL -- Hire out via CraigsList on a per box basis. Just post in the Skilled Labor section for prices to install your new cabinets per box. Describe the number of boxes. Interview and hire accordingly (with reference checking).

COUNTERS -- Again, you can find suppliers for tops and installation.

Honestly, SEARS will markup the deal. Same with IKEA and LOWES. Why be a victim? Manage your project and save big money.
We have used building material stores that will buy used cupboards and remove them themselves as part of the deal.

Home depot in stock cabinets will cost 75- 100 a foot. Anything special order will start at 50% more. You can easily spend over 15k on plywood cabinets. add extra 2-5k in crown, trim, fillers, pulls.

Last edited:
I agree with the do it yourself. I worked for a cabinet shop and most over charge. you should be able to go to a local shop an get a full drawing of the kitchen if you stop in and use that. 32k seems high for using yould old.

Latest posts

Back