DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Outdoor wedding arch

Old 08-27-2013, 02:27 PM  
gorphus

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Outdoor wedding arch

Hello again. This is not a typical house repair topic, but this forum has been helpful in the past, so I thought I would try again.

I'm piecing together our wedding altar (just an arch) out of old 1x6 boards. Attached is the image. It will be about 8 ft tall at the top and 5 ft wide at the outside (interior arch with is 4 ft). I'll probably support it with a 1x4 frame behind it.

The question I have is how to hold it upright. I was thinking about getting deck piers and then attaching a 3 ft section of a 4x4 to that. Then, screw the arch columns into that.

I could probably bury the posts as well. The catch is that I'd like to do it without concrete because it will only be needed for the day.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

arch.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 07:19 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 964 Times on 857 Posts
Likes Given: 1650

To make the arch strong you cut your boards as you have shown with 22 1/2 degree joints add a second layer to the back but on the back you use 45 degree instesd. Measure your sloped peices from long to long and then cut the 45 degree peices using that long to long measurement as the short to short. that will support the joints and you just fill in the rest with 45 degree cut stock.
I would just dig them in about 18" after you back fill them and they are shakey cut some 2x4 tapers to drive down beside the posts to stiffin them up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply