DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Mortar Mixing Help

Old 12-04-2006, 08:25 PM  
jsgarlock

Default Mortar Mixing Help

I know this is probably a really basic question, but I need some serious help! I am trying to cover two small adjoining 30 sf walls with stone veneer and I cannot get the mortar mix right. I am using Type S Quikrete (80 lb bags). Can anyone recommend a mixing technique? How do I know when the conistency is correct?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2006, 12:18 PM  
K2eoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgarlock View Post
I know this is probably a really basic question, but I need some serious help! I am trying to cover two small adjoining 30 sf walls with stone veneer and I cannot get the mortar mix right. I am using Type S Quikrete (80 lb bags). Can anyone recommend a mixing technique? How do I know when the conistency is correct?

Thanks!
Looks like that is not premixed with sand so you would have to add your own sand. Ok so maybe you know that.

I always think of the consistancy like mashed potatoes. Fluffy, will stand up in a pile on it's own. For rock work like stiff mashed potatoes. I always add a shovel or two of straight portland to make it a little stickier. If your going do do any grout bag work on the joints then loose mashed potatoes. Some portland helps with the groutbag or you can mix it a little rich. Its best to measure every thing for a beginner to keep the color consistant.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:28 PM  
jsgarlock

Thanks. It says on the bag all I need to do is add water. I certainly haven't been adding any sand. Should I be?

Old 12-05-2006, 02:54 PM  
K2eoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgarlock View Post
Thanks. It says on the bag all I need to do is add water. I certainly haven't been adding any sand. Should I be?
If it says just add water than the sand should be there. I googled type s quickcrete and it showed just the masonry cement witout sand.

the consistancies i mentioned should be right. I personally would add a shovel of plain portland to a bag to give it some more umph. that permixed stuff always seems weak to me.

Quick Reply