Originally Posted by bryce
"I wish i could get past this structual stuff already and into the finish work though where i have plenty more experience. I have done tons of tile work, hardwood flooring ,drywalling,furniture building etc and damn good at that stuff. "
Wait till you realize how much mold is coming off the wood. When you see black looking wood it means it's rotten, you can hit it with a hammer and hear the hollow sound too. Not only is it weak structurally, it's toxic. The black mold can be really bad for allergies, the wood
Black wood?So what is your prefered remedy ,demo'ing the entire house and rebuilding from scratch?Moving out?Since what insurance gave us is a joke and most of it was lost with our shoddy contractor thats not a option.If i was rich i probably would just move out and buy another house but us middle class people cant do that. We once had a nice first floor with many nice things until a hurricane by the name of Sandy came through and we had to throw out everything we own. Its been over a year now of living in a bedroom with nothing but a microwave and mini fridge and i need my house back. Obviously you can see i am trying to do as much as possible. There are tons of people in our neighborhood who didnt have insurance that only cleaned there house with bleach,washed out electrical and went on living without doing and renovations.I am trying to do the right thing but realistically.
The only damaged/rotted wood in the house are in the 2 areas i am posting about. The house was gutted before the contractor started doing work putting in subflooring/drywall ect and no other walls are bad like these two. The wood color is all brown(not black) and dry (1920's lumber) except for the very bottom of these two walls which will be taken care of for sure. the house was treated for mold after the storm. Only black mold i found left was in one wall that was not gutted when treated. i have already taken care of that mold though and then sanded and painted the wall with clear zinnzer mold and mildew proof paint.The mold wasnt to bad either im thinking from pics of black mold iv seen searching the internet. It was just a few black spots up to the waterline. Im sure theres probably some more mold under the subfloor but i dont think its bad where i have to knock down my house or move out and the walls have also been dried out professionally so i dont think it would be growing. they brought in huge dehumidifier machines or whatever they are and ran them for days to remove all moisture. The waterline was up to the window sill in the pics.The SE said the house wasnt in bad shape structually minus the two walls that need to be fixed and rest of the floor joists that i didnt get to need sistering but he said theres no way it would fall down or anything other then that.
I think the pics and stupid stuff our shoddy contractor did may be throwing you off.Except for the very bottom the wood is old but fine.White spots on the wall in the pics are sheetrock dust and spraypaint. We told the contractor to remove anymore mold he may have found.Well to act like he did something he just took white spray paint and sprayed everything down.
If you got any advice on what to actually do id love to hear it but just saying your house is rotton and moldy isnt helping me fix much.
In this pic you can see the darkness of the wood is from age being built in 1920.When the wood is cut into its not hollow.There are only a couple studs that are rotted through and those are the studs that i am replacing on bottom of the 2 walls