DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > help toilet is humming!




Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 04:57 AM  
neezil
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: san jose, ca
Posts: 17
Default help toilet is humming!

hello!

so, lately when someone flushes the upstairs toilet. After i flushes it makes this humming sound that could be heard throught out the condo. can anyone give me an idea of what it could be and what do i need to do to stop it. thank you
Nae



__________________
neezil is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 06:02 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Erie Pa, Pa
Posts: 1,375
Liked 421 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default

Can you name the tune? I once had one that could hum The Yellow Rose of Texas albeit a little off key.


Toilets are pretty simple devices so it shouldn’t be hard to find. Water coming in to fill the tank might be getting restricted due to some buildup or wear on the fill unit. And it is setting up a harmonic in the lines or pipes I would guess. Take off the lid and listen and touch some of the parts and see if anything makes the sound go away. There is really little fixing to the unit you buy a new one and replace if its acting up. Hardware and building stores sell a variety of styles. You might get lucky and be able to wiggle things and get it to stop.



__________________
bud16415 is offline  
nealtw Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 08:48 AM  
neezil
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: san jose, ca
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415
Can you name the tune? I once had one that could hum The Yellow Rose of Texas albeit a little off key. Toilets are pretty simple devices so it shouldn’t be hard to find. Water coming in to fill the tank might be getting restricted due to some buildup or wear on the fill unit. And it is setting up a harmonic in the lines or pipes I would guess. Take off the lid and listen and touch some of the parts and see if anything makes the sound go away. There is really little fixing to the unit you buy a new one and replace if its acting up. Hardware and building stores sell a variety of styles. You might get lucky and be able to wiggle things and get it to stop.

hahah love the sense of humor . . thank you I will try that.
__________________
neezil is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 11:27 AM  
joecaption
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hartfield VA, VA
Posts: 1,397
Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Install a new Fluid Master flush valve.
About $10.00 and 15 min. work.
Another thing that can cause this is to high a water pressure.

__________________
joecaption is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 04:51 PM  
neezil
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: san jose, ca
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415
Can you name the tune? I once had one that could hum The Yellow Rose of Texas albeit a little off key. Toilets are pretty simple devices so it shouldn’t be hard to find. Water coming in to fill the tank might be getting restricted due to some buildup or wear on the fill unit. And it is setting up a harmonic in the lines or pipes I would guess. Take off the lid and listen and touch some of the parts and see if anything makes the sound go away. There is really little fixing to the unit you buy a new one and replace if its acting up. Hardware and building stores sell a variety of styles. You might get lucky and be able to wiggle things and get it to stop.


ok so I went to listen and it doesnt sound like it is any where near the toilet. it sounds like in another room. but i know it comes from this one because i have tested the othet two and nothing.
__________________
neezil is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 04:55 PM  
neezil
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: san jose, ca
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Install a new Fluid Master flush valve. About $10.00 and 15 min. work. Another thing that can cause this is to high a water pressure.
do u have video or step by step to help? or will it have instructions on the product? i am a first time home owner so this is all new ro me. although, i am beginning to wonder if i bought a money pit! hahah because 6 months of living here and one by one appliances, wall, plugs, all slowly wearing out in me. ., or is it just like this with any home?
__________________
neezil is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 05:21 PM  
oldognewtrick
Moderator
HRT_MODERATOR.png
 
oldognewtrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 5,873
Liked 511 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neezil View Post
do u have video or step by step to help? or will it have instructions on the product? i am a first time home owner so this is all new ro me. although, i am beginning to wonder if i bought a money pit! hahah because 6 months of living here and one by one appliances, wall, plugs, all slowly wearing out in me. ., or is it just like this with any home?
There will be directions on the package or a packing slip. First and foremost...turn off the water at the wall or the main and drain the tank of all water.

And yes, all homes have maintenance thats required.
__________________
oldognewtrick is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 05:56 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Erie Pa, Pa
Posts: 1,375
Liked 421 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default

Sounds like it’s in the pipes then. Could be something like joecaption mentioned water pressure related. Where a pipe is a long unsupported run it can be just slightly touching a part of the house. When the flow starts changing as the float valve is closing the change in flow can cause the pipe to vibrate. Something along that line anyway. Changing the control is not a bad job and I’m sure if you do a search you can find a bunch of how to vids. Each control is a little different but the basic job is the same. Changing the unit could fix the problem.

It’s not just your house it’s all homes you have to learn these basic repairs or have a lot of money.

My shower will do the same thing you described if I turn the water on full hot like you do to warm it up. I never messed with it because if I just leave it a smidgen shy of full on it doesn’t vibrate.

__________________
bud16415 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 AM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor
 
CallMeVilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,309
Liked 409 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default

This can also be cause by a worn pressure reducing valve. This valve reduces the high pressure from the city to a pressure which is approriate for your house. When they get old, they sometimes get sticky, causing sudden water pressure changes ... or even slow changes resulting in what can be heard as a hum or a whine.

Locate the valve, get a friend to go flush the toilet, listen at the valve for the sound. Your next step would be to replace it if the source seems obvious. You can learn how (not a newbie task) or hire a competent handyman to do it.

PRV.jpg  
__________________
CallMeVilla is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 11:45 AM  
neezil
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: san jose, ca
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415
Sounds like it’s in the pipes then. Could be something like joecaption mentioned water pressure related. Where a pipe is a long unsupported run it can be just slightly touching a part of the house. When the flow starts changing as the float valve is closing the change in flow can cause the pipe to vibrate. Something along that line anyway. Changing the control is not a bad job and I’m sure if you do a search you can find a bunch of how to vids. Each control is a little different but the basic job is the same. Changing the unit could fix the problem. It’s not just your house it’s all homes you have to learn these basic repairs or have a lot of money. My shower will do the same thing you described if I turn the water on full hot like you do to warm it up. I never messed with it because if I just leave it a smidgen shy of full on it doesn’t vibrate.


ok thank you so much I love this app. . . you told me to listen so I did and it doesnt sound close it sounds like it is in another room. .. does that make any difference? i am waiting to hear back from HOA to see if I am still u der warranty (6 months) and we are supposed to get approval on everything. .weird . . . ok bud thanks again!


__________________
neezil is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Humming sound from water pipe ccpyue Plumbing Forum 1 04-08-2013 04:59 PM
Toilet Help BDP1999 Plumbing Forum 9 12-03-2010 05:34 PM
what to look for in a new toilet maxmillan Plumbing Forum 6 05-26-2010 02:10 PM
furnace buzzing/humming? Christian General Appliance Discussion 14 06-06-2009 11:50 PM
GFCI humming sound when pressed th112358 Electrical and Wiring 3 04-13-2009 09:15 PM

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS