Just put hardwood down in my office.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rider7767

Reaction score
I am remodeling my house. I just moved my stairwell and built my office out of a fourth bedroom. I just finished the floor in the office. It is the first time I have ever used engineered wood. I will finish the trim tomorrow.

Great job ... Will you be putting in a transition strip between the flooring in the office and outside? Will you be coping the baseboard or using a simple 45 degree cut?

Wonderful sense of accomplishment ... :D

132_trophy-l.jpg

Looks great. Have you considered painting the floor register to match the flooring a bit better?

Great job ... Will you be putting in a transition strip between the flooring in the office and outside? Will you be coping the baseboard or using a simple 45 degree cut?

Wonderful sense of accomplishment ... :D
I cut the baseboard to a 45 degree. I then use painters caulk to fill any exceptions. It makes a nice professional finish after painting. I will post my finial work. I will use a transition; however it will be the same floor throughout the house. Using transitions allow me to do it one room at a time and still look nice.

Last edited:
Looks great. Have you considered painting the floor register to match the flooring a bit better?
That is just the old one. I have a new white one that I will install. All the trim will be ultra white gloss. I like the contrast.

Just because I like to ask about things. That isn't a load barring wall that you cut thru? And you did put a double joist under the new wall beside the stairs? Everything looks good to.

Just because I like to ask about things. That isn't a load barring wall that you cut thru? And you did put a double joist under the new wall beside the stairs? Everything looks good to.
It was a big project. The wall in the picture is new. My only load bearing walls are the outer walls due to trusses. It was 7 floor joist. The joist ran perpendicular to the new stairwell. I had to build a temporary wall supporting the weight to down stairs. After that, I cut the hole and built the new load bearing wall wedging the 2x4 of the new wall between the new plates. I did this to transfer the load and not drop my floor. The new load bearing wall is on 16 inch center doubled at the ends supporting two 2x10 sandwich together. I sandwiched two more 2x10 wedged under the outer wall plates of the outer wall. The down stairs pier systems carries the ultimate load. I probably put three times the amount of wood a contractor would have. I could have got away with three stringers, but I used four. It is well over built. As I always say, "why put only two nails when there is room for six?" :)

Back