DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > How To Reinforce 6" Cmu Foundation ??

Old 01-02-2007, 06:07 PM  
wannabebuilder

Default How To Reinforce 6" Cmu Foundation ??

Hi Everyone,

Blg. Dept. total PITA - won't answer ANY questions. Anyone have actual experience retro fitting C. Block foundation to support 2nd Story Addition?
My present foundation is 2 coarses hollow 6" CMU on a 7x12" NOT reinforced concrete footing. How can I make it support a 2nd story? I only need to do about 20 - 30' of it. (I would tear it out completely but those bstrds won't let me do it right). I have thought of carefully busting away most of the block except the back 1" then I could pour an 8" thick concrete wall against them. That doesn't fix the un-reinforced footer though. Maybe if the new wall was 10" thick I could sort of add an off-set footer next to the old with lots of re-bar?

Should I blow out sections every 6' and put in a big footer for a wood post OR maybe a concrete sono-tube post? This is just so retarded. If the BO would spend 1/2 as much time helping me as he does saying "I'm not going to design it for you" I would be out of his hair. But he won't..........

Ideas anyone? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 08:32 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I answered your post elswhere also.

It is not a problem with the 6" block. You can go 22 stories with 6" loadbearing masonry without steel or concrete columns.

The problem is the official that may have taken a position and will not change until someone like an engineer can give him a way to justify changing his position. The official will not try to tell you what to do for obvious legal reasons.

Dick

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply