DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Need to extend 220v Wire for my Electric Stove Temporarily URGENT




Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 02:36 PM  
better2014
Junior Member
registry_dropdown_33029_98910
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Default Need to extend 220v Wire for my Electric Stove Temporarily URGENT

Hello Folks,

I hope you can give me ideas on the following please.

I have to move out of my place by the end of the month and need to clean my GE Electric Oven BUT unfortunately I made a horrible mistake by cleaning it with a degreaser that was incredibly toxic. Now the oven can't be used at all because the fumes that come out from the oven when on are toxic. I have tried cleaning with water to remove the chemical but it still lingers.

So, I want to try a self cleaning cycle so that the oven burns it out completely, but can't do that inside my house since it will leak the fumes that are toxic.

My garage door is just 12 feet from the 220v power outlet the stove is plugged to and my cable is just 6 feet long.

Any ideas on how I could extend this power cord to 12 feet so i can do a self cleaning cycle in the garage? I know this cycle will use a lot of power so I want to be careful with this.

The power outlet is a 3 prong connector and the cable installed in the stove is a 3 wire 3 prong 50amps 220 cable.

Maybe you have another solution to cleaning this oven, but this is what I am trying as of now..

Can't find a 3 wire extension anywhere, only a four wire Stanley 31626 Appliance Pro 6 feet 250 volt heavy duty but I it doesn't have the prongs I need.. maybe I should buy the cable and cut it on each end and attaching a female and male connector and make my own.?

Thoughts please.. I don't want to buy another oven and obviously wouldn't leave a toxic oven in the house either.

Thanks a lot !



better2014 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:21 PM  
nealtw
Contractor
registry_dropdown_20526_98931
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 12,946
Liked 1280 Times on 1126 Posts
Likes Given: 2145

Default

You have two problems, it is against code to run an extention cord and the fire insurance people wouldn't like it, evan if you did it correctly. This would be the time to find a friendly electrician in the hood.
I would look at doing outside, You might look at renting a generator big enough to do the job.


nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:34 PM  
beachguy005
Senior Member
registry_dropdown_28678_98950
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 390
Liked 144 Times on 121 Posts

Default

I'm curious as to what you mean by "toxic fumes". What did you use as a cleaner?

You probably won't find a 3 wire cord as they are no longer legal by code. All are now 4 wire.
beachguy005 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 PM  
better2014
Junior Member
registry_dropdown_33029_98952
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy005 View Post
I'm curious as to what you mean by "toxic fumes". What did you use as a cleaner?

You probably won't find a 3 wire cord as they are no longer legal by code. All are now 4 wire.
I used a very strong degreaser I think it was for cars.. go figure.. and it was sprayed everywhere inside since it was a horrible mess. Now when you turn on the oven the chemical in the degreaser starts to evaporate and a small whiff gives you a headache. The thing is that I don't want that thing to impregnate the furniture or linger in the air since I have a small bird. Opening the windows with this weather of 25 degrees is not an option.. so I need to take this task to the garage at least.

Ideas are appreciated.
better2014 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:02 PM  
better2014
Junior Member
registry_dropdown_33029_99085
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Default

no ideas? where are the creative ones ? lol
better2014 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:18 AM  
nealtw
Contractor
registry_dropdown_20526_99088
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 12,946
Liked 1280 Times on 1126 Posts
Likes Given: 2145

Default

perhaps some hint about the chemical would help, like the brand name.
nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:03 PM  
better2014
Junior Member
registry_dropdown_33029_99118
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
perhaps some hint about the chemical would help, like the brand name.
Purple power degreaser concentrate.
better2014 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:53 AM  
beachguy005
Senior Member
registry_dropdown_28678_99165
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 390
Liked 144 Times on 121 Posts

Default

I would suggest that you call the manufacturer, speak to their technical dept., explain what you used their automotive degreaser on, and see if they have any ideas on the best way of removing all of it from the oven.
Once that's done, just clean the oven the normal way.
Be sure to use chemical resistant gloves and a good respirator.
beachguy005 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:12 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png
registry_dropdown_4883_99167
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grand Blanc, MI
Posts: 2,315
Liked 144 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default

If it were me, I'd drag the oven close to the breaker panel and wire in a short cord whip to power it (all assuming your breaker panel is close to the outside).
kok328 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:00 PM  
nealtw
Contractor
registry_dropdown_20526_99229
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 12,946
Liked 1280 Times on 1126 Posts
Likes Given: 2145

Default

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...835716f9c1.pdf

This is for this product, after reading this I would trash the oven.


nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Wiring new 3 wire electric cooktop...help. srbrown73 Electrical and Wiring 4 04-27-2012 10:07 AM
Need parts for a 1950's GE electric stove rivasoldstuff General Appliance Discussion 4 12-12-2011 10:05 PM
rheostat not working on an electric stove stanigator General Appliance Discussion 0 11-08-2010 10:53 AM
Extending electric stove supply cable oldtimer1955 Electrical and Wiring 5 10-07-2010 10:37 AM
Electric Stove Replacement stanigator General Appliance Discussion 3 09-09-2009 10:31 PM

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS