DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Framing Wall - Poor Workmanship or Acceptable Practise

Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 PM  
RedBaron

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Framing Wall - Poor Workmanship or Acceptable Practise

I have a new house being built and I think the framing on the garage wall is poorly done. When complaining I was told by the developer that nobody guarantees 16" on centre studs. Which is fine due to size of rooms and all but I have never heard or seen the mis-spaced stud in the middle of the wall. If you look at the photo you can see two studs close together on either side of them the spacing is 16". This is a brand new build I don't think this is good practise or even acceptable. Sure maybe it may never make a difference in the long run but I am just curious to know if people think this is acceptable common practise? Would a quality framer worth his weight do something like this?

Studs.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 08:54 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I wouldn't worry about 1 extra stud in the wall. It's probably there to catch the seam in the siding due to being off measurement. Is it in the drawings?

Old 02-09-2014, 09:24 PM  
RedBaron

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not really worried about an extra stud but the drywall seams won't work out since 16" centres won't carry down the wall. Plus it's more a question on workmanship. I think its poor workmanship I want to know if I'm justified.

Last edited by RedBaron; 02-09-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 964 Times on 857 Posts
Likes Given: 1650

In fact the 16" layout is done on the outside of the wall and many framers start the layout from both ends and end with an odd spot in the center of a long wall. They do that so they don't end with a 3" cavity it the corner that would be hard to insulate. So this is a sample of thoughtful framing. Drywallers deal with this everyday.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:59 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 133 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 340

Default huh

This would be the last thing I worry about. As I look at these pictures I see steel I beams supported with wood framing. A big Non conforming issue in any engineers book. How are they attached to the beams? and what kind of weights are they supporting. What is holding this place up diagonally?
You have a big issue there, I would call in an engineer.
Just my

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 421 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I also noticed the steel beams. The one supporting the structure above the garage door it’s hard to see what’s holding it on the ends. Is that floor area supported by the large beam and cantilevered. It makes me wonder why there is a beam so close to the end of the building. I’m by far no expert but what I look for in framing is straight vertical lines where studs and joists and the studs above or rafters / trusses all line up. I watched one builder and he snapped lines across the deck both directions and every stud fell on those lines across the whole house and when they moved to the second floor the lines moved up. I don’t know if that’s normal building practice but it sure made for a neat looking job.

I see Neil’s point and the close studs don’t bother me. If you go outside and look I bet you have about a 36” sheet centered on the 2 close studs. I would much rather have that than a 12” piece at the corner.

I don’t know what’s kosher with connecting steel to wood but it just looks to be sitting on top. I would expect some kind of fabricated L clip with ears that would bolt thru the stacked up post as InspectorD pointed out to give some side loading.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:36 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Come on guys: Red is already scared of all this stuff. The beam is the front of the house with a deck at a lower level or a section of roof out front. The 2x6 is bolted to the top. Some engineers call for lag bolts down into the studs and some just say it is locked in place with the floor and sheeting in the walls. Those beams where called for by an engineer who will be inspecting them later. The sheeting inpector and engineer may have something to say about the sheeting standing on end but maybe not.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:44 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 133 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Those beams where called for by an engineer who will be inspecting them later. The sheeting inpector and engineer may have something to say about the sheeting standing on end but maybe not.
You dont know that Neil, as a guy who has inspected over 10000 homes and most new construction, I see this all the time. And the engineer does not come back to a job unless they are paid by the homeowner. The Engineer relies on the building official to look to see the drawing where followed... and I can tell you, it never happens here in CT, or other parts of the country.

He has to be his own advocate, and get someone who knows what is supposed to be there.
Funny thing in the US of A... you can't sue a Building official... and they always have the last word. But they are not as qualified as an Engineer... get the drift.

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-10-2014, 05:10 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

True enough, I don't know the rules there. I haven't seen a designer ask for a a beam over a garage door. I took that as a hint that an engineer was involved. Most cities don't get injto sizing beams they just tell you to get an engineer. If that is what happened then the city may inpect that work, which would mean they have a copy of his report Which is usually another set of plans that detail his changes, they will have both his stamp and the cities stamp on them.
You guys have missed the one thing that drives me nuts. That is the draft under the sill plate caused by shims, he should have checked the concrete and cut the studs to fit.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:18 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 409 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Good catch on the shims, Neal ... really sharp eye. What were they thinking?

I think the stud spacing got thrown off by the 6x stud support for the beam. I would not call that bad workmanship ... just field adaptation.

But shimming the plate??? OMG ...

Quick Reply