DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > Kitchen fluorescent lighting

Old 02-23-2014, 07:16 PM  
5rob5

Default Kitchen fluorescent lighting

I have an 80s home with the recessed fluorescent lighting box in the kitchen ceiling. The box dimensions are 6'x6' and 9inches deep with four 2 light fixtures. Three of the lights run side by side with one at the end running the opposite way. I really dislike the oak trim and the plastic diffusers. I would really appreciate any lighting ideas so I can get rid of the current stuff. Thanks in advance for any help.
Rob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 07:43 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 403 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Been there ... done that ... lose the boxes by reframing and installing recessed lighting. You will get a sense of added head height, better lighting, and a more modern look.

Here is a pic from a project I did ... the heavy skip trowel and bullnose edges matched the entire house ... The recessed light over the sink is a single bulb light fixture that had not existed. In addition, I pre-wired the kitchen for under-cabinet LED task lighting. Turn out really magnificent and added to the updating of the rest of the house.

kitchen ceiling.jpg  

Last edited by CallMeVilla; 02-23-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply