Additive for Thoroseal??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownsteady

Reaction score
Since the homepage on this site mentioned resin-based waterproofing, I've been wondering if there is an additive that I can add to the large bucket of Thoroseal that I already have. Any suggestions?

I want to recoat one of the interior walls in my basement. There are a few places where the first application did not stick well, despite the fact that I wire brushed the wall (pretty thoroughly, I thought) before applying it. Could be moisture or more efflorescence that I didn't get??

I think the Thoroseal instruction are to apply a second coat within 24 hours. That is pretty tough stuff and not like a paint product.

Often, an acrylic added to the Thoroseal to get some better bonding to the base material. This is when you follow the mixing instructions, including to short wait to allow the mix to absorb water and "fatten up" before the finising water addition.

One problem is that Thoroseal becomes very resistant to bonding and does not absorb much water after it is aged and even repels water quite well.

The best suggesting I have is to mist the wall just before applying the Thoroseal and use an acrylic added to the mixing water for getting the dry Thoroseal ready for application.

I think one of the additives suggested was Acryl 60 when I used it.

Thoroseal is not like a paint-type material like DryLock.

If you have some pre-mixed Thoroseal, good luck.

Dick

decided to contact the Thoroseal people on this one. Here is their response:

"You can either treat just the affected areas or the entire wall, it is up to you. A surface applied bonding agent or additive to the Super Thoroseal is not necessary. The most important step is surface preparation. Make sure that any loose or unsound substrate is removed and that the surface is slightly "opened" by abrading with something such as a wire brush. Dampen the area to receive coating and apply with a stiff bristled masonry brush."

Latest posts

Back