Double Outlets

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I have been rewiring my garage and had an idea / question. I like to use the double boxes and wire two outlets at each location for four places to plug something in. I think this is pretty common in a lot of places.

I make up the two outlets on the bench with jumpers and pigtails and then wire them into the run. I think this is the common way to do it.

My question is do they make a 4 plug outlet? And if not why don't they? I could see it as a time saver as it took me some time to make up 8 of these this morning. If they had one that had a second set of screws that would allow for load connection and straight strip clamping that would even be better.

Thought I would ask if anyone else would use this or if there is such a thing out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Thanks for the link. I found something similar after I posted. Do they use a normal quad box? Do they stick out from the wall? I will have to ask around to see one and see how connections are made.

That outlet has a distinctive look. Don't think I have ever seen one. Maybe I have in a hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

After looking at the Leviton quad more it looks like it is made to stick out from the wall and depending on the base it can mount to a single box or a double or be used for some surface mount wiring. I was wondering about something that would sit back in a normal quad box and take a normal face plate after install.

Maybe there are not enough quads put in to make something like this practical.

It is the same box you might use for a switch and plug or you can use the ones you take a side off and gang them together, double plastic face covers can be found.

Bud if you are running new wire consider 3 wire so you can have two circuits at each box One for all the plugs on the right and one for all the plugs on the left.

940926_300.jpg

Why aren't these options flush with the wall surface?

Thanks JoeD I saw that one also when I was googling around to see if anyone made a clone of two duplex outlets as a quad.

Wuz: I did find someone has a patent on just about what I was asking about from quite some time ago that never went commercial. Maybe that’s the reason for the crazy shape and protruding quads that are out there. Most of them look to be special purpose and more like something you would see in a trailer with thin walls.

I’m going to build a prototype bus bar for joining two duplex into a quad. When I get it done I’ll try and post a photo.

Back