DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decks & Patios > How Thick are Porch Ceiling Trim Boards?

Old 04-28-2014, 11:52 AM  
Carol2

Default How Thick are Porch Ceiling Trim Boards?

Please see photos below. My screened-in back porch faces due west and I want to hang some blinds to create some shade in the afternoon. The screens are framed in aluminum all of the way around (painted white). I want to hang the blinds from the wood trim just to the inside of the aluminum frame (painted gray).

My question is this: how thick is that ceiling trim board from which I want to hang the blinds? It is the board marked "wood (gray)" in the last photo below. Is there a trick to determining that? Should I use toggle bolts? I don't want buy super heavy-duty stainless steal eye bolts/eye screws just to find out they are doing nothing but pushing up air when I screw them in and the board is nothing but 1/2" or 3/8" thick.

What do you experienced folks suggest? I am such a novice! (Hanging my head in shame.) I don't really have a clue what I'm doing. I did try "Mr. Google" but apparently I am not using good search terms.

Thanks so much!
Carol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2014, 12:12 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 921 Times on 822 Posts
Likes Given: 1589

At the least there should be a 2x4 wall above the window going all the way up to the peak, On a better day you might find 2x10s nailed together to make a beam from corner to corner. Either way you should find solid framing just above that peice of wood. You could just drive a nail up there to make sure you are going to find solid wood.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:29 PM  
beachguy005

Liked 77 Times on 67 Posts

I have a similar entry and because that span is also supporting the roof it should be double 2x6s or larger, mounted vertically with maybe a 1x6 (the gray) attached horizontally.
Looks like the clapboard siding finishes right to the edge of the 1x.
If I were to guess I would say you have a 3/4" board attached to wood that 5 1/2 to 9 1/2 inches thick. (tall)
You won't need toggle bolts and depending on weight of the blinds you're installing just use the screws that come with them.
The only air space you may find is between the 2xs. depending on how they constructed that header, which is a sandwich. But you'll be screwing into what should be at least a 3/4" board which is also supported by the alu framing..

Old 04-28-2014, 05:02 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Most likely a 1x6 nominal dimension trim board with solid framing behind it.
Pretty much like Neal said.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:05 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol2 View Post
I don't want buy super heavy-duty stainless steal eye bolts/eye screws just to find out they are doing nothing but pushing up air when I screw them in and the
This search usually works.
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Not today, it seems

Old 04-28-2014, 05:09 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Just to add a thought, screws should be long enough to reach the framing behind the wood trim as the wood trim might be held up by small finish nails.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:37 AM  
Carol2

Thank you SO much for everyone's help! I thought I would give everyone a follow-up. I got the screens made and hung with very few problems. When I drilled the holes through the wood trim, I did hit air space twice and then something very, very solid. I know, that seems odd, but after drilling six of those holes, I can tell you it was wood, air, wood, air, extra-hard, solid wood. Anyway, the shades are light and I have overkill in the hooks and eye-screws.

Carol

Old 05-09-2014, 04:07 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Thanks for the update and glad it worked out even with us only being partly right

Quick Reply