DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Faucet leaking under sink...

Old 06-04-2014, 02:17 PM  
Calman

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Faucet leaking under sink...

Hi folks,

I have a problem detecting a leak from our kitchen faucet this past week and wonder if some kind soul could lend their expertise?

To give you some background to the problem, we were carrying out countertop renos, so the faucet had to be removed (worked perfectly at this point). After 2 weeks or so, we refitted the faucet, only to detect an issue with the water pressure. So, I removed the spout foil head and found some debris which I removed (very small pieces of hard black plastic). This cured the water pressure, but now the hot water tap didn't completely shut off - remained a thin trickle on the off position. Doing some research on our Peerless kitchen faucet, I clued myself up on removing the cartridge and checking the seats/springs. Both seats looked identically worn (shiny and flat on the top) ... so I went ahead and replaced the hot supply and now they both successfully shut off without a single drip!!

However, I am still experiencing dripping under the sink after this repair. I have checked the water supply lines, which are tight and don't appear to be the source of the dripping. If it helps, I have since learned that the dripping only occurs when the water has actively been used. With both hot & cold valves turned on underneath the sink, the area stays dry and I can't see a single bead of water from the lock nuts on the underside of the faucet. If I started washing dishes, using both hot and cold, frequent dripping would then occur under the sink and I would have to shut off both valves.

Can I now assume that the cartridge(s) could be at fault? .. (of course, replacing the seats/springs alone was hopeful and easier on the wallet).

Any insight would me most welcome, as this is now becoming a "tiring problem".

Kind Regards,
Cal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 03:03 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 921 Times on 822 Posts
Likes Given: 1585

Welcome to the site. Do you have a pull out faucet with a flexable hose? I have seen a simular problem with the fitting going to the hand hold part.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:19 PM  
Calman

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hi Neal!

This is our faucet (or a model similar model number that "visually" looks identical). We installed it approx. 2 years ago ... and as mentioned above, the problems only occurred after re-fitting it a couple of days ago.

http://www.peerlessfaucet.com/custom...o-handle&group=

All the best,
Cal

Old 06-04-2014, 03:30 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Hopefully someone that knows more about it will come along.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:39 PM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 109 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I'm going to guess you disturbed one of your drain lines during the re-installation.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:45 PM  
Calman

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry, but no, it's not related to the drain lines.

The leak from underneath the sink, appears to be seeping through the particle board directly to the front of the faucet lock nuts. So, I would assume that it's coming from the base (internal workings) of the faucet.

The problem is, I don't know exactly what's causing it? ... O-Ring, Cartridge or some other issue.

Having replaced the faulty (hot supply) seat/springs - as it didn't completely shut off, I feel I should also replace the cold supply, just to rule it out and give piece of mind?

All I know at this point, is that the valves and water supply nuts are not the source of the problem.

All the best,
Cal

Old 06-04-2014, 04:49 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Call Peerless, should be under warrentee.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:12 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 403 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Let's try to be systematic. The drips usually show up on the underside of a supply line or the drain piping. The water, obviously, came from up above somewhere. You need to wedge yourself under the sink with a flashlight while the water is running. Look carefully at the connection point under the faucet. Wipe the area with a rag then look for water accumulation.

You should be able to isolate the source area.

If it is the faucet, you might need to put a bead of plumber's putty under the beauty plate which sits across the top of the sink up above. You will need a basin wrench to tighten the nuts ... This could be difficult which explains why faucets are mounted to the sinks BEFORE the sink is dropped in the counter top.

Single handle (cartridge) faucets feed their hot and cold upward and the connections are made 1/2 way, transitioning from the flexible supply lines to the more rigid copper lines which got up and into the faucet. Those connections can be leaking too. You will need Teflon tape and two wrenches to make these connections water tight.

Sometimes, it is the supply line to the hand wand. This is rare but you should look closely anyway. The connection is the same as the hot/cold.

Plumbing is not magical but it does require focus and tenacity. Remember: You are smarter than the pipe!

LEAK.jpg  
Old 06-04-2014, 08:22 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Villa, this is the older style, two handle, no pull out, see the link in post 3

Old 06-04-2014, 08:32 PM  
Calman

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hi CallMeVilla,

Yup indeed, I have done the "under sink crawl" many times in the last few days (initially to re-brace the sink, before discovering this faucet issue). As mentioned above, the leak is definitely appearing above the valve and water supply connections, so basically where you tighten the locknuts underneath the faucet, water is dripping just outside this area. It's difficult to see an actual stream direction, as the whole area gets wet, so looking up at it with a torch, I can only see frequent beads of water build up and drip.

To update you slightly from my report above. I concluded that no leak was present with both valves turned on and taps left off for 4 hours. Wiped everything dry and nothing to report. After which, I decided to run the cold tap and let it run for a while, giving the spout a swing left/right a few times at the same time - still no drips/beads and all dry underneath.

So .... unless something inconsistent is going on, I am now "assuming" that the problem is focused on the hot supply (O Ring/Seat/Cartridge).

Thanks for your valuable opinion. I will update you when I move onto the next step (ruling out each area "bit by bit").

BTW - I saw one of the pipes wink at me, when my hours of frustration were at an all time high - so not sure if the pipe has a higher IQ than me??

All the best,
Cal

Quick Reply