How to enlarge my barbeque/"braai"

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avz10

Reaction score
In South Africa, to have a "braai" /barbeque is a way of life and very traditional.
We moved into this house in the Northern Suburbs of Cape Town during December 2013. I bought the house despite the fact that I knew that the braai/barbeque as well as the braai room is too small.

We plan to enlarge the braai room, but want ideas if we cannot enlarge the braai without rebuilding it.
Problems with the braai/barbeque are:
The surface is too low (85cm from floor) (I am 1.92m), forcing me to bend slightly forward when I “braai”, causing the inevitable backache. It feels as if this needs to be approximately 1m high.
The barbeque itself is too small (70x50cm) and too low, as I just mentioned. The lintel above the entrance to the furnace is therefore also too low.
The surface to the left of the furnace is too small.
My braai at a previous house was relatively perfect; higher, broader; etc.
When I enlarge the braai area, I want to build a surface to the right of the braai (when one is facing the braai)
These are 2 suggestions that I got, but I am scared that this might look too amateurish. The first one lifting the bottom, remove the height of 2 bricks at the top and move the wall on the left hand side to the left.

The second one, removing bricks or half of a brich to enlarge the the braai area and also lifting the bottom and remocing bricks from the top.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Latest posts

Back