Garage package to cabin/small home remodel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailenforcer

Reaction score
Hello I have a ton of questions so here we go first with background.

I bought acreage with a cabin that was made from a Garage package, right now it is pretty much gutted to the studs.

Due to a protracted illness I was forced to retire a couple years earlier than planned. I am planning to move out of a larger (1500 SQ FT) home to this cabin next year, once I am done. Most of the work will be done by me and a couple friends, we all have some construction experience so this isn't new to us. I am downsizing as I have little need for a expensive place living on a small retirement and pension I will collect 3 years from now. It is only I and a dog. And I am a minimalist anyways. It already has a newer E.P.A. rated wood stove that is a little bigger than the cabin, but that's no issue.

1. Insulation: It has 2 x 6 walls with T111 siding and zero insulation now. It sits on a slab.
I was going to spray foam the walls but I am starting to doubt the safety of spray foam insulation. Looking at the recent law suits and numerous people sickened I might not want this. I would like to get as close to Super insulation as possible as this place is in the coldest part of Michigan's north. NOTE: the place is grandfathered as a cabin/small home.
So with temperatures that reached far below -30 Fahrenheit and wind chills at -52 F, this winter I want this place as warm as humanly possible.
I do intend to dig down next to the slab and place at least two inch foam board around the slab and create a 24 inch minimum radius of foam just under the surface to prevent a frost line too close to the building. Possibly 30 inches...

Electrical is no issue just upgraded the 100 amp Service to 250 Amps.

I am looking for suggestions to reach the high insulation requirements this area needs.

Also another note: I plan on removing or placing foam board over the T111 siding and wrapping the cabin in TYVEK wrap. Then installing Cement siding and a steel roof. This is in a state forest and forest fires are always a consideration. All vegetation near the cabin is removed.

Okay this is step one of my questions, have any suggestions?

Closing note I will have sky lights and the south side will have Anderson crank out windows. Heat will be a combination of the wood stove and a propane powered Williams gravity wall furnace with the optional fan. We loose electricity a lot around here so heat with no dependency on electricity is a must.

Thanks for reading this..

James

I rigged my cabin with a solar opening vent and fan to keep it summer cool. Doing fiberglass insulation inside (no paper backing so mold isn't an issue if there is a leak) with closed cell foam exterior and siding over top is the way to go on pre-existing buildings.

I think I am going to do the SP foam board over the siding, with a tight tyvek wrap and cement siding on the outside to minimize fire danger here in the forest due to the potential forest fires. Of course the steel roof as well.

Thanks for the reply.

I rigged my cabin with a solar opening vent and fan to keep it summer cool. Doing fiberglass insulation inside (no paper backing so mold isn't an issue if there is a leak) with closed cell foam exterior and siding over top is the way to go on pre-existing buildings.

Latest posts

Back