DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > Thesis Project - Modular wall panels

Old 07-08-2014, 01:37 PM  
kendo31
Projects

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Thesis Project - Modular wall panels

Hello all.
I'm a graduate student exploring the feasibility and market of producing a modular wall system where the resident mounts proprietary uprights onto the wall structure providing them with the ability to apply a myriad of modules. These modules are used for shelving, hanging, storage, cabinetry, or to apply various materials and finishes. Modules would be interchangeable thus allowing people to easily add, remove, relocate items as needed.
A draft concept walkthrough is viewable from the link below:

I'd like to gauge people of expertise on their initial impressions. Any questions and comments welcome.
Thanks.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:00 PM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 121 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'm a little confused. Is this garage system what you are trying to duplicate?

Flow-Anywhere-Shelf-Starter_thumbnail-1.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 02:17 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 226 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Nice idea, but doesn't seem that revolutionary. What gets left behind when you decide to move a module someplace else? If the wall is "damaged" by the supports, then it's no different than screwing in existing items.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:10 PM  
kendo31
Projects

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The application is for anywhere in the home. When you place a pair of uprights, it's with the intent that some form of module would always exist there. Over time, the desire to add, update, and remove components is much easier than destroying drywall. In this manner, walls and never destroyed, merely reskinned. The uprights are regarded as permanent and regular as the structural studs within the walls.

**sidenote** i posted the same inquiry on DIYchatroom.com and 10 min latter I'm completely banned...what's their deal??

Last edited by kendo31; 07-08-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:34 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 421 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 137

We like to talk to new members a bit before we ban them.

Actually we get several of this type post per year. It's interesting to watch the replies more than the questions. I'm an inventor and have a few patents and I never say never to new ideas. I actually saw your title and was excited as I thought you were working on walls that could be moved. Myself as you have asked would not be interested in such a product. Maybe a better place for a system would be in office space. But there are already many doing that. Your film was nice but I would want to see detail on how it all works.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Old 07-08-2014, 05:37 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 511 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo31 View Post
**sidenote** i posted the same inquiry on DIYchatroom.com and 10 min latter I'm completely banned...what's their deal??
Forums like this don't appreciate new members using us for free advertising. Websites like this cost a lot of money to run and are funded by advertisers. First time posters, promoting a product or service usually end up banned. Posting like to other website will get you booted, please re-read the forum rules that you agreed to when you registered.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:58 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 965 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 1650

Great if it gets you a passing grade, but that dog will not hunt.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:20 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 421 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I understand this is a project for a class, and some professor suggested you use some sort of method to collect data.

I once did something similar only in real life and it was a product I was getting a patent on and needed real input before sinking a life savings into. I joined a forum that was quite ingrained in the topic and participated for many months getting a feeling of the members and truly forming friendships. I then asked if they would honestly give me feedback. It worked out great and I still know all the people there. The thing is when you join a place like this with a goal in mind you will miss out on lots of information you didn't even know you would find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Old 07-08-2014, 07:13 PM  
Jungle

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 31

" In this manner, walls and never destroyed, merely reskinned."

People in housing are cheap. Like $8 for a sheet of drywall. That's what your competing against, you can do a lot with dry wall, it's even fireproof. Most people have one kitchen for years and years and years. So i think your overestimating peoples desire to change their decor. Think cheap like Ikea. People want a shelf they get one for $10 and put it on their wall where they want. If they don't like it they take it down and repair the drywall. Cheap system, why mess with it?

Last edited by Jungle; 07-08-2014 at 07:22 PM.
nealtw Likes This 
Old 07-10-2014, 07:55 AM  
kendo31
Projects

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the replies and not slapping an insta-ban.

I do realize the feasibility of the proposal is perhaps not the most economic, however there are products and markets which surround my target and I'm merely attempting to address such a sweet spot.

If I had the time to cultivate realtionships perhaps I would finese my approach here more delicately however time is not so expendable. I still don't understand the hostility of crowd sourcing...I'm not selling anything nor pose to benefit financially at all. The beauty of formus is to pose opinions and discussion...even if theoretical. There's something oddly defensive & territorial about some sites that results in unnecessary backlash.

I do enjoy reading though the responses and will continue to develop this. If I'm not banned by then perhaps I'll update.

Quick Reply