Repairing wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a few small holes I want to repair (finger size). Can somebody show me how I can get a texture like this when I do the repair. It looks sponge like. I have done knock down with larger size pattern before but not this one. I am guessing this is called orange peel.

TT

Last edited:
When I was a kid, the guy would load up a brush and with a stick in one hand and brush in other, hit them together so the product would fly at the wall, this still may be a good way to do repairs.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qt25WKPbhk[/ame]

There is nothing for scale in your photo. A pencil is a good one to relate to.

That looks like regular texture paint. I get a finish like that mixing drywall mud and latex paint and rolling it on. Try a 50/50 mix to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

There is nothing for scale in your photo. A pencil is a good one to relate to.

That looks like regular texture paint. I get a finish like that mixing drywall mud and latex paint and rolling it on. Try a 50/50 mix to start.

I will get a pic for reference. Your advice sounds good.

You can get cans of spray orange peel too. I redid several walls in the 1940 house I fixed up in S Seattle.

Hello,

I have a few small holes I want to repair (finger size). Can somebody show me how I can get a texture like this when I do the repair. It looks sponge like. I have done knock down with larger size pattern before but not this one. I am guessing this is called orange peel.

TT
If you haven't done drywall before I would highly recommend using YTube to that will help you point out which tools and which type of material to use for patching drywall, clean to the existing finish...:welcome:

Here is the pencil reference. I have done drywall before but never patch texture wall like this before.

It becomes a bit like art work. You can try thinning some joint compound and rolling it on over the patch or use a brush to dab it on. After it's dried a bit you'll need to knock it down some by lightly scraping it with a putty knife. That will knock off the rough surface and blend it in.
Covering it with a few coats of paint will also help to soften the finish.
Given that you're covering small patches I would use some joint compound and a small bristle or foam brush and dab. Practice on a piece of scrap.

That looks like texture paint like we thought. You have to match texture and also color. Two best methods if you are repainting the room then go for something like a big area around the holes and blend it all together. If they are small holes and not painting whole wall then just fill holes and try and match color and texture best you can as described above.

For small holes just fill the hole .Hit it with some orange peel in a spray can and be done with it.

For small holes just fill the hole .Hit it with some orange peel in a spray can and be done with it.

This worked out great. I had one area that had a lump (bad drywall job). I added compound and smooth the lump out and then use the orange spray can.

Thanks,
TT

Latest posts

Back