Big hole in the Wall-Fixable?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitalbum

Reaction score
I don't know how it got there. I recall a lot of whiskey, a woman, and a very sore hand the next day. Probably unrelated.

Anyway, this is an apartment and I'm a bit of a retard when it comes to knowledge about this stuff, but am quite handy and good at figuring it out.

Can this be fixed below the price of the deposit? I think it's 250$

YW3MKnX.jpg

Materials for it are cheap but do you have, or can you borrow, the tools you'll need? Do you have the matching paint? Most importantly, do you have the skill to do the job well enough that the landlord is going to let it pass?
You're probably better off just finding a handy man to fix it for a C note.

This is basic drywall fix 101 ... Not hard but you need to see it and get the materials, tools, etc. Here is a video which sort of helps.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vpo6YdJKog[/ame]

Notes ... You need to know how thick the drywall is so you can patch it ... He uses special clips I have never seen. Most guys get some plywood pieces and screw through the wall leaving a large lip where your drywall will push against ... He uses pickle while most guys use drywall compound ... Your wall has a texture, so you will need a spray texture for final finish before painting ...

Stick to the whiskey and women but leave the walls alone. :D

1. clean up the back of the hole, so there are no crumbly pieces sticking out behind
2. cut a piece of cardboard (pizza box might work fine) that is about 1-2 inches larger on each side than the hole
3. Punch a small hole in the cardboard, just big enough for a piece of sturdy twine. Put the twine through the hole and secure so that it can't pull out. (Leave the twine long enough for the next steps)
4. butter the outer edges of the cardboard with spackle (or you can use sticky white glue)
5. fold the cardboard in half. (you may want to pre-fold before buttering)
6. slide the "closed" cardboard into the hole while holding the length of twine
7. open the cardboard like an umbrella and pull it towards you, so it makes firm contact with the back of the wall
8. secure the patch in place by tying the twine to something across the front of the patch (a pencil if it is a small hole, a dowel or a coathangar if it is larger.
9. allow to dry overnight.
10. once dry, fill the hole with thin layers of spackle, until even with the front face of wall
11. sand smooth and flush
12. check this post for painting ideas: http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f45/repairing-wall-17865/

1. clean up the back of the hole, so there are no crumbly pieces sticking out behind
2. cut a piece of cardboard (pizza box might work fine) that is about 1-2 inches larger on each side than the hole
3. Punch a small hole in the cardboard, just big enough for a piece of sturdy twine. Put the twine through the hole and secure so that it can't pull out. (Leave the twine long enough for the next steps)
4. butter the outer edges of the cardboard with spackle (or you can use sticky white glue)
5. fold the cardboard in half. (you may want to pre-fold before buttering)
6. slide the "closed" cardboard into the hole while holding the length of twine
7. open the cardboard like an umbrella and pull it towards you, so it makes firm contact with the back of the wall
8. secure the patch in place by tying the twine to something across the front of the patch (a pencil if it is a small hole, a dowel or a coathangar if it is larger.
9. allow to dry overnight.
10. once dry, fill the hole with thin layers of spackle, until even with the front face of wall
11. sand smooth and flush
12. check this post for painting ideas: http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f45/repairing-wall-17865/

Cute, but a little mm when doing as a perm. fix is fast and easy.

Measure the size of patch you need, head down to anyplace that sells drywall and pick up a peice, they always have broken sheets and most will sell a chunk. Grab a coup[le peices of 1x4 4" longer than the patch and a hand full of drywall screws. Hold the patch over the hole and mark out the right size to cut, Follow Villa's, video.

Hmmm, she didn't hit it directly but practically made me. I'll send her a bill.

Yeah, this may be out of my element. I may try to contact a handyman. Where does one find such a man?

I'll still check out the video and your instructions when I'm more caffeinated and feeling delusions of confidence, and go from there.

Hit up Craigslist.com ... Get a price for the fix minus the painting. Make her paint the wall (if you are still speaking) :D

Why would you want to patch a hole that size with cardboard when you can do it right with drywall and quicker ?Piece of drywall to fit the hole,some mud and a little texture and your done.

Sooooo, I did this a few weeks ago, not PERFECT but we'll see how the deposit check looks.....if there's one at all (hooooppefully not ADDED charges) I figure there's always plausible deniability.

9MOGrCy.jpg

Tx6M0p9.jpg

LBVMIhf.jpg

swyh1Gy.jpg

With a strong light (it's in the hallway) you can definitely see some edges. This is due to me kind of ghettoing the drywall piece to be flush by taping some layers of thinner cardboard behind the piece, up against the left and right lips of the studs (can't see the right stud in the picture). Looks like I overdid it in the upper left, and the opposite in a few other areas.

Also, I ended up taking the special tape off. It refused to stay on, even with the compound behind and on top, and I figured I could just apply more and sand it smooth, or even use spackle.

All in all, I think "OK" job for a first time, but if this was my home, I'd redo it. And it would probably go 5 times faster, haha.

Actually, that texture aerosol spray ended up making it blend better than I thought. Was surprised at the effectiveness of that stuff.

Last edited:
As much as I'd like to give you an attaboy, in a few weeks or less you'll see it crack. You should of used wood, instead of cardboard, sistered onto the studs to screw, or nail, that replacement piece of sheetrock. You also should of fastened the edges of the existing on those studs. Doing that stabilizes the joint between the new and old.
Joint compound and taping covers and helps to prevent cracks from forming.
You have doors on both side of your patch and opening and closing them will stress the wall and speed up the failure of your patch job.

Noted.

Well, like I said, so long as it lasts for a while.

That reminds me, I'm going to call my apartment office and check on that deposit.

I think it looks pretty good for a first time out. Maybe you'll have some cracks and maybe you'll have a chance to redo it if your GF sets you off again. Be sure to hit the same spot. And DEFINITELY do not pull a "Ray Rice".

Latest posts

Back