Need to figure out if this tree is going to fall (on my house)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
I have these two trees next to my property line (on my side) one of which started to concern me. It's a large one, a maple or oak of some sort (hopefully one can tell from one of the leaf photos). The other tree is very tall, I was told some sort of cherry although its foliage is very high up (hence such a house second leaf photo)

The big tree looks healthy but it's huge and it appears that it has been leaning toward my house more over the last couple of years. Also, the ground under it slopes down toward my neighbor, so I am not sure the roots have enough support. But I am no arborist, so I might be totally wrong.

So 2 q's:
1. Are there any tell-tale signs that I (again, an amateur) should look for that would tell me that the tree might fall soon or, conversely, that it's likely very healthy and I should not be worried, at least in the near future?
2. I can invite an arborist to give me his/her professional opinion. But if they represent a tree removal company, they have an interest in convincing me that I need to take the tree down, especially because it's huge and will cost big $ to get removed. So are there any good ways of ensuring that I am getting an honest opinion, aside from inviting a bunch of different folks from different companies and then "averaging" their opinions?

Thx

IMG_8676.jpg

IMG_8677.jpg

IMG_8678.jpg

IMG_8679.jpg

IMG_8681.jpg

IMG_8680.jpg

A true Certified Arborist should only have the health of the tree in mind, whether it means pruning, trimming or complete removal. That should be your first stop for questions.

Someone could maybe cut large branches in such a way so that the center of gravity of the tree moves away from your house, without harming the tree.

Cabling is another option but it would be unsightly.

A lightning rod system may prevent spectacular tree failure in a storm.

A silver Maple and a choke cherry, both look normal to me .
Only a certified arborist will let you know your options. And they have to be unbiased, most are not trying to sell you a job. They just like healthy trees.:beer:

Topping it cuts down the fall over chances too.

"When apical meristems (apical buds) are removed constantly, the shape of tree can be manipulated remarkably, because newer, uninhibited branches grow en mass on most any positions of the tree/shrub.
Topiary garden, Beckley Park manor, UK"
which implies that the tree center of gravity can be moved harmlessly.

"When apical meristems (apical buds) are removed constantly, the shape of tree can be manipulated remarkably, because newer, uninhibited branches grow en mass on most any positions of the tree/shrub.
Topiary garden, Beckley Park manor, UK"
which implies that the tree center of gravity can be moved harmlessly.

The rules for trees and shrubs are not often the same. but a tree that is damaged often finds a new leader branch.

Again, here's where an arborist comes in handy.

Ilyaz: if the trees appear healthy, what caused the concern? Mostly just curious here.

Latest posts

Back