Replacing telecom lines

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RalphJolly

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently bought a modern house that is hard wired with cat 5 lines.
One of these lines doesn't work and I need to replace it.
I am new to all of this but I was hoping that I could just attach a new cable to the old one and pull it through. I don't know what's behind the walls exactly but the cable is only 20/30 ft long and runs in a straightish line along the back of the house.
The old cable seems to be firmly attached to something.
I haven't used a lot of force but I can't pull it out and I was wondering if that is usually the case -are these lines commonly set up so they can't be replaced without removing lots of drywall?
I know it's a proper newbie question but I would appreciate a reply.
Thanks.

Most of the time they are attached along the way to keep them back away from the drywall so someone wont drive a nail thru them hanging something on the wall. Do you know your cable is bad maybe you can put a new termination on the end and get it working.

If you have access to both ends just do a continuity test on each conductor pair. That will tell you if it's bad. When they installed it, it was most likely stapled in place and while you may be able to rip the old out, getting the new line to follow the pull will probable not work.

Thanks for the replies.
I've replaced the plugs and jacks on the cable 3 times hoping that I had made a simple wiring error. Unfortunately not, and had no problems with my other work (upgrading all the other cat 5 lines to ethernet).
PC can't find the internet when plugged in this line, yet it can on every other line. Swapped out PCs, routers, modems, connecting cables, everything -it can only be a problem with the hardwired line.
Can't say I'm that optimistic but if anyone has any bright ideas!?!

If you have done all that the only thing left is to ring out the wires and see if one is open. Are you using all the wires with your new setup. If not you can swap out one for the bad wire maybe. The next step would be go for broke with a person on each end see if you can get it to pull with some force. If it goes you can pull a new cable by really connecting it good and taping it smooth. If that fails look for a new path for it maybe to basement and across. If that doesn't work then you will be cutting drywall or removing baseboard and running the cable.

Let us know how it goes. Those are all the tricks I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

If you have re-wire you want to do some research around the house. Following what someone did before the drywall went in is not usually the easiest.
Crawlspace, attic, drops in the ceiling to hide plumbing or something in that room or the room below are good options or even between floor joist above or below.
And welcome to the site.

I wired up my house for Ethernet throughout but, have recently removed it all due to wifi is predominant now a days.

I wired up my house for Ethernet throughout but, have recently removed it all due to wifi is predominant now a days.

Actually, the trend now is back to wired. Wireless is great for convenience and that's about it.
Wired is more secure and faster, especially given the expansion of streaming video.

Actually, the trend now is back to wired. Wireless is great for convenience and that's about it.
Wired is more secure and faster, especially given the expansion of streaming video.

I actually think both is the way to go. I want wireless for all the hand held stuff but things like my home theater pc I would rather have wired.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Yeah like others have said, tying on a new line to the old and pulling would be a bad idea, especially for CAT-5 wire. If the original installers used the proper staples, then they should pull out sorta easily. The problem is that CAT-5 is not the type of wire you want to "man handle." Plus if there are any turns you run the chance of scraping and kinking the wire. Kinks in a CAT-5 line can potentially degrade your signal.

Your best bet, to run a new line, would be to abandon the old line in the wall, and see if you can fish a new one taking an alternate route. If the location is on the first floor, can you run it down the basement and fish up to the location? If it is upstairs, can you fish it to an attic and run it down the location, etc? This may not be easy (you may have to drill through headers to get into the desired bay cavity), but this is the best way to run new lines, most of the time.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Thanks for all the replies.
I removed a few small sections of the wall to find that the cable was stapled at regular intervals with the coax cable that runs to the same outlet. It was also bundled to some of the other cat5/coax cables at various places and then there was half the cable that I really couldn't get at without major work.
So I decided to give up on that cat 5 wire. There is a far simpler route to take a new cable to that room. When I'm in the mood to...
Thanks for all the comments and useful info -I appreciate it.

Back