Furnace does not run continously

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssubhash

Reaction score
My house is 2 yrs old, the heater stopped functioning. This is in top floor atic. When I open the panel (filter is inside the panel) and replace filter and close the panel door, it ran for 2 mins and shut off. When I again opened the panel and closed the door, it ran for 1-2 mins and shut off again. So everytime I opened and closed, it was running but shutts off in a couple of mins.
Appreciate any ideas to diagnose and/or fix the issue

Thanks

Sounds like a sensor problem. Is it a gas furnace? If so, I'm guessing that the thermocouple that's supposed to sense whether the flame is on has failed. If so, it would not sense the flame, and furnaces are designed to shut off the gas flow if there's no flame sensed.

yes, it is a gas furnace. so replace sensor I guess? any thoughts on what the fix is? thanks for your response

Here is what is happening. Your furnace is shutting down for some reason. When you open the panel it cuts power via the safety switch on the door panel enclosure. This effectively resets the furnace and then it fires back up until the problem is encountered again and shut the furnace down. Look on the back of the panel for information - i.e.- schematics and trouble code index. You should see a PCB (printed circuit board) / control board with an LED indicator. Remove the panel, hold down the safety switch and see what the LED light is blinking and then notice again the LED light when the furnace shuts down. Refer to the panel or wherever the LED index is and it will tell you why the unit is shutting down. If the description of the blinking LED does not make sense to you, post back and we will see if we can help from there.

Could be just about anything, the OP hasn't provided the diagnostic codes from the blinking LED light.
All we know at this point is that the unit is going into lock out mode for some reason.

Back