Gas Log Fireplace Advice Please

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottCh

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm having trouble getting our gas log fireplace to start. It has a pilot light, which works. When I set the knob to the pilot position, I can light the pilot. The pilot light warms a thermocouple, which is supposed to enable the gas to flow.

The knob has a plate with instructions below it. It says "Press knob briefly to shut off. Press and hold knob to start."

I lit the pilot last night, and let it warm for about fifteen minutes. Then I pressed and held the knob. Nothing happened. I tried this multiple times. I am able to get the gas for the pilot light to turn off, that happens very easily. I went through half a box of fireplace matches. No amount of tweaking helped, unfortunately.

We have only used the gas logs a few times since we moved in, about four years ago. The last time we had it lit was in 2012 or early 2013. I remember that each time it has been a little tricky to figure out how to get it started.

We don't have the instructions for the fireplace, they were lost before we moved in. From what I've seen, it is a fairly common mechanism. This is what the knob looks like:

hearth-products-controls-black-safety-pilot-knob-28.jpg

Does anyone recall if there's a trick to getting this type to start up? How long does one usually have to hold the knob in before it starts? Maybe I'm not waiting long enough.

It's possible that it has finally worn out. I've read that the thermocouple is often at fault. I'd like to make certain that this isn't a case of user error, before we pay someone to come and look at it.

Thanks!

Scott C.

Last edited:
Replace the thermocouple if that doesn't fix it then the gas valve is bad.

You needed to push down to get the pilot to light then turn the valve counter clock wise to turn on the flame.

Many times the tip of the thermocouple gets knocked away from the optimum heat source. Check the placement and see if it is becoming hot enough to open the gas.

We just installed basically the same thing. You push the knob all the way in to light the pilot. You have to keep holding the knob in until the thermocouple warms up. About 15 to 20 seconds. When you let the knob out, if the pilot stays lit, your good to go. Turn the knob counter clockwise to light the fireplace. You can regulate the amount of flame you get with the knob. What's trickie is the turn off deal. You turn the knob back to the Pilot position which is the position where you can read the knob without laying on your side. You have to push it in just a little bit. Finding that perfect little bit is real trickie, but once you get it, you can turn the knob clockwise to the total off position. This will also turn off the Pilot.

Latest posts

Back