Wood Flooring Front Hallway

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

load

Reaction score
Since I received some great advice before I thought I would start here. First question I have, is when is better to rip out tongue and grove flooring and replace or resurface. My flooring is over 100 years old and I would call it character, but the wife calls it ugly. Have some large gaps between boards that are as wide as a dime and not that even.
This is in a front hallway directly after entering front door. Approx size 13 x 5.
If it is recommended to remove old flooring I have to have a an idea of what to replace it with. The biggest problem that I see is the tracking in of snow and ice and just plain grit. Any suggestions on what to use.

Yes there is a sub floor made up of 10" wide boards and I think 3/4" thick that is rough sawed. I think the existing flooring is either oak or some other hard wood that has been stained a lighter color.

Ya I like the old stuff too. You do not think the wood filler would stand out with such wide gaps? I am concerned how much sanding I would have to do to get the floor even, as I am sure that there is some sagging going on and raised flooring.

These guys fill gaps with match old wood
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prvQRhagLjI[/ame]

That would be good, but sure would need a lot of them, as my flooring is 1 3/4 wide. Did more looking today and discovered some of my flooring is loose and the sub flooring is loose. Looks like floor will be coming off. Now that I have determined a new floor will be put down what would you recommend, do not want linoleum. At this time tile is out, -30 below wind chill, do not think saw would work to well

If your finish floor is loose, you may be able to snug up the boards and renail. Then handle any leftover gap at the edges of the floor where it's easy to hide. Of course, if your subfloor needs work, you'll have to address that first.

Loose and cracks, to me indicates lots of expansion and contraction over the years so maybe a damp crawlspace below. Unless you want to deal with that, I wouldn't consider another hard wood.
If you remove this wood you will be able to repair subfloor. If your floor now is 3/4 inch you could go tile and backer board and come to same or close to same height.

Latest posts

Back