Help with unique hammock/shade structure idea

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cspan0

Reaction score
Hello All,

New here and I thought it would be a good place to look for some advice on a project i'm working on. I'ts defenitely a unique idea so i'm going to do my best to explain it and use pictures.

What i'm trying to do is hang a three person triangular hammock above my backyard that will also double as a shade structure. I already have the hammock, its manufactured by a company called Tentsile. I'ts designed to be attached to trees, but I want it in my backyard.

My plan is to put one anchor point into the brick of my house using a Guardian fall protection Model CB-1-B bolt on D ring wall safety anchor. My friend thinks this is overkill but I want this thing to be rock solid if people are going to be laying on it.
For the other two points of the triangle, I want to put two anchor points into the roof of my detached garage. I'm trying to figure out the sturdiest way to do this. My initial idea was to fit a two by four underneath the roof in between the rafters, then drill through the roof and secure an anchor point with two carriage bolts. I think I need this because the wood is only 1/8 in particle board. I've also seen permanent roof anchors that go around one of the rafters with a big U-bolt.

I know its kind of a weird project but that's why i'm taking to the internet for advice!

Attached are pictures of the roof of my garage where I want two anchor points to go, the brick wall ( the anchor would go pretty high up in between those two windows) the hammock itself from the companies website, and a picture of the guardian anchor point i'm going to attach to the brick wall.

mutvP43QRb0dSl4PdXRuthQ.jpg

Tentsile-Vista-AWalmsley-049_small_1024x1024.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

For the shed I would attach a 2x10 on the inside of the wall next to the ceiling and drill thru and install eye bolts with nuts and washers on the inside. That will spead the load ove several studs and top plate of the wall and the roof structure will keep everything straight.
I would not trust the brick, I would want something that gets to the top plate of the wall inside with lag bolts or thru bolts
And welcome to the site.

Slick lookin' hammock!
I would not be eager to put anything through my roof, even if it's just a garage. If I'm reading Neal's post right, put the board as high up as you want on the wall of the garage, and then attach your hammock to that. The more secure you make it to the wall, the better.

So once you put this hammock up at a height that will provide shade, how do you get into and out of the thing? A ladder? A second story window? A trampoline? Just how high off the ground will it be??

I have a step stool that should get you high enough to pull yourself up there. If that doesn't work out I'll probably fashion some sort of rope ladder.

As for securing an anchor to the brick, I don't really have the option to go all the way through the wall. - Are masonry wedge anchors notorious for pulling out of brick? how can I find out how much weight they are rated for? I was under the impression that 4 of them would do the trick.

as for the shed, because of how high they need to be, the anchor points actually have to go on the roof. Neal, my plan is similar to yours except I am going to put the 2x10 in between the rafters, drill the holes, then put flashing over it etc, whatever I have to do to waterproof it.

As cool as the idea sounds, i think you and your friends will get tired of the climbing part pretty quick. IMHO, get a separate piece of shade material and enjoy the hammock for what it is.

The thing that’s nice about a hammock for most is it swings. A three corner hammock isn’t going to move so you might as well just set three poles in the ground and anchor to them. The poles will provide something to attach the climbing ladder to as well. Maybe the hot tub should go below. :D

Anchors for brick might be rated for tons but if the brick pulls out of the morter, good luck, you have two top plates on the wall you just have to figure where they are and lag thru the brick into the top plates. Putting blocking between studs or rafters still leaves you pulling on the sheeting.

Can not see any part of your idea working out.
Going to end up with wall and roof damage.
No anchor is made for a brick wall that's going to hold a load in that direction.
It would need to be through bolted with a 1/2 Eye bolt with solid blocking inside the wall.
No way is there only 1/8 particle board on that roof, it would have collapsed long ago is that was true.
More likely 1/2" OSB.

Back