DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Steam Generator Pressure Release Valve

Old 02-12-2007, 06:16 PM  
runlikegump

Default Steam Generator Pressure Release Valve

I am in the process of installing a steam generator for my steam shower. Currently the pressure release valve is going back into the shower on a seperate line then the regular steam. It was recently brought to my attention that this set up is hazardous and should be changed. Does anyone know the force of the water that will be expelled from the pressure release pipe and can this installation stand as is? What is the ideal placement for this pipe and does it need to be deposited outside the home?

Thanks,

Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2007, 02:27 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 318

Default Get a plumber over there to look at your situation..

Steam only needs a half pound of pressure to be dangerous.
Steam is always best left to a professional because it has the tendency to destroy things when they go bad.

I have water heater videos from the 30's of these copper tanks going through a building up to 600 feet away...cool if your not in the building.

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-14-2007, 07:07 PM  
elementx440

i suppose you can expect it NOT to be ejecting steam at a regular basis, so why not just direct it to the floor like on a hot water tank? i'd avoid aiming it at the naked bodies of showerers if i were you

Old 02-15-2007, 11:20 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome to the Forum, Glenn:
I don't know if the folks here can stand 2 Glenn's, but we will have to give it a try.
Your steam pressure releif valve should come directly off the steam generator within 3" of the generator, extend outside with a fall for drainage, and to within 4" of the ground. Steam can build a tremedous amount of pressure and, if it exceeds the municipal water pressure, it will back up in the service pipe unless there is a backflow preventer. Many municipalities require a backflow preventer at the meter, so that any pressure or contamination on your side can't affect the whole neighborhood.
Having the releif line run to the ground will prevent anyone from getting scalded if it does pop off. Keep in mind; when water changes to steam it expands to 17 times its original size. You can see how that would cause a lot of pressure.
Glenn (the Kentucky one)

Quick Reply