caulking window

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisyphus

Reaction score
hello all, haven't posted in awhile. today replaced my bathroom window on the second floor. but how do you caulk the outside if you don't have a tall enough ladder?

If you are just starting fixing your house and what might be a few times you have to get up the side of the house, you might be better just buying a ladder. Sometimes good used ones can be had cheap.

Little bit about ladder safety. Most ladders now a days are made from aluminum and conduct electricity very well. I had a very good friend that he and his son were doing siding on their old home and the ladder got into the power wires and the son went for it and was killed my friend knocked the ladder free and in the process he was also severely shocked and burned. Be extremely careful with overhead power learn the proper angles to set it up at etc. A couple months ago Grandpa that helped me with the redo of our house was doing a new tin roof on his barn. He’s 85 and a stubborn old goat and didn’t call me for help. He had the ladder at a slight angle going up the roof that had a double pitch and his weight kicked the bottom out despite grandma standing on the bottom she went one direction and he came off breaking a few ribs and shoulder. Happy to report he’s doing better now and grandma has laid down the law on ladders.

Something as simple as a ladder we all think we know what we are doing but take your time and don’t take chances. There is writing all over a new ladder take the time to read it. if you are going anyplace close to wires get a fiberglass ladder. In my plant they only allow fiberglass for the last 15 years. made me sick to see several hundred nice aluminum ladders go thru the scrap chopper.

Back